Evolution-data-server (3.18.x) memory leak and possibility of using 3.20 in 16.04?

Khurshid Alam khurshid.alam at linuxmail.org
Sun Sep 18 16:31:53 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 16.04, eds has huge memory leak. Each sub-process (basically all
evolution-calendar-factory-subprocesses) starts consuming more than
40mb after boot without anything configured and then can grow beyond
100mb over time if you add google-calendar. Bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/indicator-datetime/+bug/1589605

This is also one of the reason of general high-memory-usage in 16.04
for both shell and unity
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1572801)

But on Yakkety I could not reproduce this which has eds-3.21.x. The
memory usage is 5~8mb per process. So it got fixed somewhere between
3.19 ~ 3.20, although I don't know which commit exactly did that and I
doubt upstream will ever cherry-pick those patches for 3.18.

So this brings out the question, is it possible to upload eds-3.20 on
16.04 as regular xenial-updates? "apt rdepends evolution-data-server"
and "apt rdepends libical1a" only shows these applications which will
require rebuild.

  Depends: gnome-shell (>= 3.17.2)
  Recommends: indicator-datetime
  Recommends: gnome-calendar
  Suggests: pidgin (>= 1.10.0)
  Depends: gnome-shell (>= 3.17.2)
  Recommends: gnome-panel
  Depends: evolution (<< 3.19)
  Depends: evolution (>= 3.18.5)
  Recommends: gnome-calendar
  Recommends: syncevolution-libs-gnome
  Suggests: pidgin (>= 1.10.0)
  Suggests: modem-manager-gui
  Depends: libjana-ecal0
  Depends: libfolks-eds25 (>= 3.2.0)
  Depends: evolution (>= 3.18.5)
  Depends: gnome-phone-manager
  Recommends: gnome-panel
  Depends: gnome-core (>= 3.12)
  Suggests: glabels
  Depends: evolution-rss (>= 3.18)
  Depends: evolution (<< 3.19)
  Depends: address-book-service (>= 3.12.11)
  Depends: ekiga-plugin-evolution
  Depends: bijiben
  Breaks: evolution-data-server-online-accounts (<< 3.8.3)
  Recommends: indicator-datetime
  Recommends: gnome-calendar
  Depends: evolution-data-server-dbg (= 3.18.5-1ubuntu1)

I am not sure about gnome-shell, but looking at debian/control they all
can compile with eds-3.20.

Thanks.