Communications 2.0

Tim darkxst at fastmail.fm
Wed May 4 10:34:02 UTC 2016

On 03/05/16 23:30, Narcis Garcia wrote:
> "central visible list of tasks that need doing"
> +1
>
> "IRC channel is largely dominated by people leaving/joining message"
> I think it's optional in all IRC clients.
> I don't like IRC, but it has strong advantages (and neutrality) *when
> live conversation is needed*.
>

> Arguments I hear for moving to proprietary SaaS often match arguments to
> use "official" channels in Facebook, including the acceptance by new
> users and being friendly to them.
What is the point in comparing proprietary Saas to Proprietary Facebook?
> This issue has been on the table since any conversation about GNU/Linux
> and FOSS applications. It's not invalid, but some people uses it as the
> only important variable.
I warned at the very start this is not to become about Proprietary vs FOSS. Its about what is the best solution. I will let you off since you
were very civil in your reasoning, however we have a number of variables in play:

- Primary one being, what best serves the needs of our users and core team members, and is easiest to use, most are not developers and wont want
to use a site with steep learning curve (as seen with the wiki!)
- We do not have a trusted experienced sysadmin to maintain a self-hosted FOSS solution, one that we can be sure that will keep up with security
updates and maintenance for the future.
- Anything hosted on Canonical IS, needs to go through a comprehensive code review, that could take a year or more for some of these webapps!
- There are really no (or very few) cost effective hosted FOSS solutions.
- In many cases the SaaS solutions are just easier to use (not surprising, they probably have dozens more developers, designers etc working on
the product)

> Most notable projects become notable because of consistency in
> principles, strategies and aims in the long term.
I am not even sure what you are getting at here?