Grub bug report

Ty Young bluesoviet at outlook.com
Thu Mar 31 23:54:03 UTC 2016

Sorry for the late reply!

On 03/28/2016 03:58 AM, Narcis Garcia wrote:
> If you want Windows entries not appears in GRUB menu, you can disable
> the detection of other operating systems:
> chmod a-x /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober
>
> Than you can run update-grub with Windows HDD plugged, and menu will not
> include MS/Windows boot.
> Usually, when GRUB has no different OS to show in the menu, it's
> configured hidden to boot faster. If you want to discover the menu, you
> must hold [Shift] key at boot manager stage.

A bit confused here... are you talking about the Ubuntu boot option in
GRUB? No, that in itself was/is(currently) fine and working. The menu
I'm talking about is the BIOS boot device manager/window that comes up
by entering BIOS Boot Options/holding F12 after POST. The entry to boot
to "ubuntu"(The HDD where Ubuntu-Gnome is on) was gone, with only the
HDD model(as mentioned previously) option remaining.

Attempting to boot to the HDD model option after "ubuntu" goes missing
just boots to Windows. I'm guessing that is because it couldn't find an
OS on the HDD so it went to my default boot option, which was my Windows
7 HDD...

AFAIK, my install of Ubuntu-Gnome itself is fine. Every time I've
reinstalled GRUB via boot-repair it always lets me boot back into the OS
with no problems, but eventually goes missing again... even months later
apparently.