Ubuntu Gnome GTX 960 Support

Andrew Welch welchandrew559 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 03:35:02 UTC 2016

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 1:48 PM, Ty Young <bluesoviet at outlook.com> wrote:

> Hello once again,
>
> I'm going to be upgrading my graphics card from an GTX 750 TI to the GTX
> 960 and was wondering what support Ubuntu Gnome 15.10 has for it and what
> steps I would need to take to ensure that I don't run into any issues(black
> screen, for example).
>
> If it matters at all, I currently have a small issue with my install of
> Ubuntu Gnome where the only driver that will work(Open Source or Nvidia's)
> is Nvidia's 361.28. I am also using the 4.4.1 kernel.
>
> Assuming the "recovery" boot option still works, getting to a terminal to
> do the install for Nvidia's 361.28 driver isn't an issue. Its just any
> quirks that might occur that I'm worried about(like "recovery" boot option
> not working, if its even possible for that to happen due to a new GPU).
>
> Thanks for any information or help!

Best bet would be to keep the second graphics card incase the driver
install doesn't want to work properly, but it looks like it's been working
since Nvidia's 346.35 driver in 14.04 with Unity
<http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia-geforce-gtx960&num=2>,
so you would think it would work with 15.10 and GNOME Shell.

Andrew Welch
welchandrew559 at gmail.com