Grub bug report

Ty Young bluesoviet at outlook.com
Fri Apr 1 05:30:45 UTC 2016

I redid update-grub with Windows drive plugged in. No change or
difference: same output and can still boot into "ubuntu".

On 03/31/2016 10:49 PM, Tim wrote:

> On 01/04/16 10:54, Ty Young wrote:
>> Sorry for the late reply!
>>
>> On 03/28/2016 03:58 AM, Narcis Garcia wrote:
>>> If you want Windows entries not appears in GRUB menu, you can disable
>>> the detection of other operating systems:
>>> chmod a-x /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober
>>>
>>> Than you can run update-grub with Windows HDD plugged, and menu will not
>>> include MS/Windows boot.
>>> Usually, when GRUB has no different OS to show in the menu, it's
>>> configured hidden to boot faster. If you want to discover the menu, you
>>> must hold [Shift] key at boot manager stage.
>> A bit confused here... are you talking about the Ubuntu boot option in GRUB? No, that in itself was/is(currently) fine and working. The menu
>> I'm talking about is the BIOS boot device manager/window that comes up by entering BIOS Boot Options/holding F12 after POST. The entry to boot
>> to "ubuntu"(The HDD where Ubuntu-Gnome is on) was gone, with only the HDD model(as mentioned previously) option remaining.
> If you are talking about the efi boot manager, I think that entry should be added at install time (and not touched again), though not entirely sure.
>
> Though from your logs, efi boot doesnt seem to change?
>
> =================== efibootmgr -v (Before boot-repair)
> BootCurrent: 0004
> Timeout: 1 seconds
> BootOrder: 0003,0004,0000,0001,0002
> Boot0000* UEFI Device: Generic-SD/MMC/MS/MSPRO 1.00	BBS(17,,0x0)
> Boot0001* UEFI Device: P5: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH70N     	BBS(18,,0x0)
> Boot0002* UEFI Device: USB Flash Disk 1100	BBS(19,,0x0)
> Boot0003* UEFI Device: ST3750528AS	PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x2)/Sata(1,65535,0)/HD(1,GPT,4f39d2b7-00d2-4be4-a2d4-a3a41eceeb6e,0x800,0x100000)
> Boot0004* UEFI Device: Generic Flash Disk 8.00	PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1a,0x0)/USB(1,0)/USB(1,0)/HD(1,MBR,0x0,0x2a8,0x7a8d58) =================== efibootmgr -v (after)
> BootCurrent: 0004
> Timeout: 1 seconds
> BootOrder: 0003,0004,0000,0001,0002
> Boot0000* UEFI Device: Generic-SD/MMC/MS/MSPRO 1.00	BBS(17,,0x0)
> Boot0001* UEFI Device: P5: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH70N     	BBS(18,,0x0)
> Boot0002* UEFI Device: USB Flash Disk 1100	BBS(19,,0x0)
> Boot0003* UEFI Device: ST3750528AS	PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x2)/Sata(1,65535,0)/HD(1,GPT,4f39d2b7-00d2-4be4-a2d4-a3a41eceeb6e,0x800,0x100000)
> Boot0004* UEFI Device: Generic Flash Disk 8.00	PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1a,0x0)/USB(1,0)/USB(1,0)/HD(1,MBR,0x0,0x2a8,0x7a8d58)

Don't know anything about GRUB, so I'm not sure. I just generated the
logs via boot-repair GUI app from a flash drive both before and after
the new GRUB install. I didn't mess with the drive other than that.