Wiki pages updated with an Upgrade HowTo

Tim darkxst at fastmail.fm
Sun Sep 20 10:13:22 UTC 2015

On 20/09/15 00:21, Patrik Bubák wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I wrote it that way because that's how I just upgraded. I recall previously when I attempted to use dist-upgrade I was notified, that "no such
> package exists", hence also this solution.
>
> I will correct the article, thank you.
>
> If you feel like I left a few gaps feel free to add your touch to it.
apt-get dist-upgrade is required when new packages need to be installed or old ones removed, this nearly always happens on gnome3-staging, so
you do need to use dist-upgrade when first installing. After that apt-get upgrade should be enough and you should only dist-upgrade when you get
pending/held-back packages, it can break your system if there are dependency issues.

Removal:
It would be safer to remove gnome3-staging first.
Sometimes ppa-purge can get confused and remove extra packages, if this happens (or to be safe, always) you need to run
apt-get install ubuntu-gnome-desktop^
after ppa-purge, but before rebooting to pull back in those packages

Finally it is highly recommended to ppa-purge gnome3-staging always before upgrading to the next release, and not just letting the installer
disable the ppa (since that does not actually remove the packages.