Wiki pages updated with an Upgrade HowTo

Patrik Bubák bubapa at protonmail.ch
Sat Sep 19 14:21:42 UTC 2015

Hi guys,

I wrote it that way because that's how I just upgraded. I recall previously when I attempted to use dist-upgrade I was notified, that "no such package exists", hence also this solution.

I will correct the article, thank you.

If you feel like I left a few gaps feel free to add your touch to it.

[Learn about how to protect yourself on the internet](https://prism-break.org/en/)

[Why it is important to encrypt your communications](https://freedom.press/encryption-works)
[An easy how-to guide to PGP (Pretty Good Privacy)](https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/)

Nothing ruins creativity like too many voices weighing in. We call it the Ice Cream Principle. Tell 10 people to go get ice cream with one condition: they all have to agree on one flavour. That flavour is going to be chocolate or vanilla every time. Groups of people don't agree on what's cool or interesting, they agree on what's easy to agree on.

On 19/09/2015 14:43, Erick Brunzell wrote:
> On 09/19/2015 07:26 AM, Patrik Bubák wrote:
>> Hey everyone,
>>
>> a small contribution from me:
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/HowTo/UpgradeGnomeShell
>>
>> Learn about how to protect yourself on the internet
>>
>> Why it is important to encrypt your communications
>>
>> An easy how-to guide to PGP (Pretty Good Privacy)
>>

>> Nothing ruins creativity like too many voices weighing in. We call it
>> the /Ice Cream Principle/. Tell 10 people to go get ice cream with one
>> condition: they all have to agree on one flavour. That flavour is
>> going to be chocolate or vanilla every time. Groups of people don't
>> agree on what's cool or interesting, they agree on what's easy to
>> agree on.
>>

> RE:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/HowTo/UpgradeGnomeShell#Add_the_PPAs_and_update
>
> I've frequently found that rather than just apt upgrade I need to use:
>
> sudo apt dist-upgrade
>
> I cc'ed Tim because he'd know best if dist-upgrade is required.
>
> Lance

Hi Patrik and Lance,

Yes, once you have added the PPA's you can run sudo apt-get update &&
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.

--
All the best,

Bruce