Encrypting with Evolution *Off Topic*

Paul Smith paul at mad-scientist.net
Tue Sep 15 15:23:57 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-09-15 at 14:06 +0100, Leo Francisco wrote:
> Is anyone out there in our community actually using Evolution as their
> main email client? I cannot get it to work well for me any which way I
> try.

Yes, I use it as my one and only email client for home and work and I
have for over 10 years, since I was forced to drop Emacs VM when my
company at the time switched to Exchange for email (luckily I've since
moved on from there and don't need to mess with Exchange anymore, but I
didn't switch back).

The biggest problem with Evolution in Ubuntu GNOME is that the version
provided by Ubuntu is always at least one and sometimes more major
releases behind the current version.  This means we don't get fixes or
enhancements anymore and reporting bugs to the Evolution team is
difficult since we can't test the latest version.  In fact some people
on the Evo mailing lists are at least subtly dismissive of anyone using
Ubuntu since we almost always have old buggy versions.

I used to build Evolution myself but since I don't need Exchange support
Evo is mostly "good enough" for me and I just live with the annoying
things that I know are already fixed in the next version... building Evo
from scratch is not for the faint of heart IME.