[Ubuntugnome-qa] Ubuntu Gnome 15.10 Bugs

Tim darkxst at fastmail.fm
Thu Oct 22 04:21:23 UTC 2015

On 22/10/15 12:44, ty wrote:
> On 10/19/2015 09:22 PM, Erick Brunzell wrote:
>> On 10/19/2015 08:12 PM, ty wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I was wondering if it would be OK to share bugs that I've found in Ubuntu Gnome 15.10 here. I would have created a bug report on Launchpad,
>>> but I've never filed a bug report before by myself and am unfamiliar with the steps and/or what issues should or shouldn't be reported.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> Yes. We all start somewhere. Right now we'll mostly be focusing on release critical installer bugs and such so it may take a while for
>> someone to respond and help you with the bug filing process.
>>
>> When you have time give this a read:
>>
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs
>>
>> Lance
>>
>> PS: I cc'ed the QA team, you may be interested in joining Ubuntu GNOME QA if you plan on testing pre-release images.
>
> Alright thank you.
>
> My Hardware(for reference):
>
> Intel Core i5 2320
>
> 8GB DDR3
>
> Nvidia 750 TI(1st Gen Maxwell arch)
>
> To keep this simple and easy to read, I'm going to report the two bugs that I think are “critical” and need to be fixed ASAP. Not entirely
> sure on some package names, so I just put a question mark(?). I have about a handful of other bugs that I've found, but didn't want to make
> this too lengthy.

The best way to file bugs is use 'ubuntu-bug <package-name>', its not so easy to keep track of bugs reported on the mailing list!

> *Bug 1: Grub vanishes*
>
> *Package*: Grub
>
> *Details:* Grub will disappear randomly after installing updates. The disappearance doesn't seem to be triggered by any update in
> particular(that I know of anyway, it could very well be). It can happen at any point after installing updates.
>
> *Resolution if encountered*: Use the Ubuntu Startup Repair tool to reinstall Grub. Decline any future Grub updates(is this safe to do?). You
> should then be able to boot back into Ubuntu(and any of its flavors, see below).
>
> *Other Noteworthy:* This also happens in Ubuntu(unity) and on versions 14.04.X, 14.10, 15.04, and 15.10.

Do you dual boot with windows? standard or UEFI bios? This really sounds like it could a config error for grub on your system, do you see this
on a clean install or only happening on upgraded system?

> *Bug 2: Corrupt Text*
>
> *Package*: nouveau(?)

So far as I know the Open Source support for the 750Ti is still rather immature, this is most likely a bug in nouvea for that specific card,
unless anyone else has seen it with older hardware.