Ubuntu Gnome 15.10 Bugs

ty bluesoviet at outlook.com
Thu Oct 22 01:44:58 UTC 2015

On 10/19/2015 09:22 PM, Erick Brunzell wrote:
> On 10/19/2015 08:12 PM, ty wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was wondering if it would be OK to share bugs that I've found in
>> Ubuntu Gnome 15.10 here. I would have created a bug report on
>> Launchpad, but I've never filed a bug report before by myself and am
>> unfamiliar with the steps and/or what issues should or shouldn't be
>> reported.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Yes. We all start somewhere. Right now we'll mostly be focusing on
> release critical installer bugs and such so it may take a while for
> someone to respond and help you with the bug filing process.
>
> When you have time give this a read:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs
>
> Lance
>
> PS: I cc'ed the QA team, you may be interested in joining Ubuntu GNOME
> QA if you plan on testing pre-release images.

Alright thank you.

My Hardware(for reference):

Intel Core i5 2320

8GB DDR3

Nvidia 750 TI(1st Gen Maxwell arch)

To keep this simple and easy to read, I'm going to report the two bugs
that I think are “critical” and need to be fixed ASAP. Not entirely sure
on some package names, so I just put a question mark(?). I have about a
handful of other bugs that I've found, but didn't want to make this too
lengthy.

*Bug 1: Grub vanishes*

*Package*: Grub

*Details:* Grub will disappear randomly after installing updates. The
disappearance doesn't seem to be triggered by any update in
particular(that I know of anyway, it could very well be). It can happen
at any point after installing updates.

*Resolution if encountered*: Use the Ubuntu Startup Repair tool to
reinstall Grub. Decline any future Grub updates(is this safe to do?).
You should then be able to boot back into Ubuntu(and any of its flavors,
see below).

*Other Noteworthy:* This also happens in Ubuntu(unity) and on versions
14.04.X, 14.10, 15.04, and 15.10.

*Bug 2: Corrupt Text*

*Package*: nouveau(?)

*Details*: When using the Open Source display drivers(with my GPU, see
above), text is corrupt, unreadable, and shifts when you move the mouse
pointer over it(can sometimes turn white too depending on where your
mouse pointer is). This also affects the LIVE installer environment.

*Resolution if encountered*: Switch to the proprietary display
driver(not really a fix, especially in LIVE mode).

Again, these are the more (smaller) bugs but i didn't want to make the
message any longer.

Thanks for the QA offer, will definitely check it out.

P.S. Please forgive me for any mistakes when replying to the mailing
list. Still a little new to this.

Thanks.