fglrx vs. Xorg drivers

Patrik Bubák bubapa at protonmail.ch
Thu Oct 8 21:38:51 UTC 2015

Does anyone know how frequently does the fglrx-updates branch receive updates? Where/how can I track it?

I'm not sure how I should proceed if I want to stay always up do date with the latest graphics drivers - should I install from AMD's site and manually update, or is it safer via updater with the fglrx-updates package.

Even after following instructions on AMD's website to install their latest catalyst for my R4 + R5 M230 setup it fails, the driver isn't recognized properly and it actually - after driver installation - shows different hardware than what I have, for instance:

with Xorg (default) it shows I have an R4/R5 M230 graphics card, which is correct,

after installing the latest catalyst it shows Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Mullins [Radeon APU A4-6000 with R2 Graphics], X.Org: 1.17.1 drivers: ati,fglrx (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,radeon) Resolution: 1366x768 at 60.0hz, GLX Renderer: AMD Radeon R4 Graphics GLX Version: 4.4.13374 - CPC 15.201.1151 - which is not what I have.

My computer has an AMD A6-6310 APU with R4 and R5 M230, that's what it should show. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong, since I follow the steps exactly.

All this is on Ubuntu GNOME 14.04.3, since I have problematic hardware and cannot use 15.04 due to the [Xorg bug](https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1443456) that caused my session crash with Libreoffice and proprietary video driver installation wasn't even possible. A fix isn't, and probably won't be released for 15.04.

[Learn about how to protect yourself on the internet](https://prism-break.org/en/)

[Why it is important to encrypt your communications](https://freedom.press/encryption-works)
[An easy how-to guide to PGP (Pretty Good Privacy)](https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/)

Nothing ruins creativity like too many voices weighing in. We call it the Ice Cream Principle. Tell 10 people to go get ice cream with one condition: they all have to agree on one flavour. That flavour is going to be chocolate or vanilla every time. Groups of people don't agree on what's cool or interesting, they agree on what's easy to agree on.