Wherefore art thou, Evolution 3.16?

Tim darkxst at fastmail.fm
Sun May 17 00:13:10 UTC 2015

On 17/05/15 05:57, Paul Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-05-15 at 07:50 +1000, Tim wrote:
>> The packages in the archives are shared with Ubuntu proper, so the
>> patches are still there, however in many cases they have been made
>> optional, so that at run-time they don't affect the GNOME session.
>>
>> The real issue with evolution however, is that updating
>> evolution-data-server is a very big task, and none of us have had the
>> time to tackle that yet.
> Thanks for the info, Tim and Jackson.
>
> If it's true that the Ubuntu Evolution package requires so many changes
> to work well with Unity, I wonder if it's really appropriate to use the
> same package for Ubuntu and Ubuntu GNOME.  Wouldn't it be easier to just
> build straight GNOME Evolution for Ubuntu GNOME?  I know that one thing
> I see a lot of on the Evolution mailing lists is frustration that the
> Ubuntu version of Evolution seems to have problems that are not present
> in other distros; partly it's because Ubuntu always seems to be shipping
> an older version of Evo than other modern distros, but I have to assume
> it's also due to the number of modifications as you mention.
evolution does not have many ubuntu patches, most of the features like Ubuntu online accounts are upstream. So that is pretty unrelated. Also we
cannot have separate  copies of packages in the archives, it just doesnt work like that.

> Also, I'm not sure what you mean by updating evolution-data-server: in
> what way does it need to be updated beyond what's available from
> upstream?  Is this another set of patches needed to make EDS work with
> Unity?  Or, maybe the evolution-data-server-online-accounts package?  Is
> that Ubuntu-only?  I thought GNOME supported an online accounts facility
> as well?
Again nothing to do with ubuntu patches. evolution-data-server consists of about 1 dozen libraries, that mostly get soname bumps every new
release, this means that every package that depends on evolution-data-server needs to be rebuilt (that is a lot more than just evolution
itself). Its quite a large task to update e-d-s packaging, rebuild all the reverse-depends, test everything etc. So its more just no one has had
the spare cycles to work on it. Nothing at all to do with ubuntu patches.