Wherefore art thou, Evolution 3.16?

Paul Smith paul at mad-scientist.net
Sat May 16 19:57:17 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-05-15 at 07:50 +1000, Tim wrote:
> The packages in the archives are shared with Ubuntu proper, so the
> patches are still there, however in many cases they have been made
> optional, so that at run-time they don't affect the GNOME session.
>
> The real issue with evolution however, is that updating
> evolution-data-server is a very big task, and none of us have had the
> time to tackle that yet.

Thanks for the info, Tim and Jackson.

If it's true that the Ubuntu Evolution package requires so many changes
to work well with Unity, I wonder if it's really appropriate to use the
same package for Ubuntu and Ubuntu GNOME.  Wouldn't it be easier to just
build straight GNOME Evolution for Ubuntu GNOME?  I know that one thing
I see a lot of on the Evolution mailing lists is frustration that the
Ubuntu version of Evolution seems to have problems that are not present
in other distros; partly it's because Ubuntu always seems to be shipping
an older version of Evo than other modern distros, but I have to assume
it's also due to the number of modifications as you mention.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by updating evolution-data-server: in
what way does it need to be updated beyond what's available from
upstream?  Is this another set of patches needed to make EDS work with
Unity?  Or, maybe the evolution-data-server-online-accounts package?  Is
that Ubuntu-only?  I thought GNOME supported an online accounts facility
as well?

Cheers!