Wherefore art thou, Evolution 3.16?

Tim darkxst at fastmail.fm
Thu May 14 21:50:28 UTC 2015

On 15/05/15 07:38, Paul Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-05-15 at 05:42 +1000, Jackson Doak wrote:
>> It's not so much no one is interested, it's just quite a bit of time
>> and effort is required to get the evolution stack into the PPA with
>> all of the ubuntu patches.
> Thanks for the response!
>
> To be clear, by "all the Ubuntu patches" do you mean Ubuntu patches to
> Evolution?  Or Ubuntu patches to GNOME?
>
> I guess I was under the impression that Ubuntu GNOME was basically
> vanilla GNOME on Ubuntu, similar to GNOME on Debian, with perhaps some
> build/environment/etc. modifications to integrate with Ubuntu base
> system.  But, if changes to Ubuntu GNOME are pervasive enough to make
> building/integrating GNOME's native Evolution code difficult, it seems
> there's a lot more going on than I was aware of!
The packages in the archives are shared with Ubuntu proper, so the patches are still there, however in many cases they have been made optional,
so that at run-time they don't affect the GNOME session.

The real issue with evolution however, is that updating evolution-data-server is a very big task, and none of us have had the time to tackle
that yet.