Someone Tries to Sell Ubuntu GNOME Linux OS on Craigslist for $30

Erick Brunzell lbsolost at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 22 15:49:59 UTC 2015

Hi Keith, I suggest we just drop this. Please read below:

On 06/22/2015 08:46 AM, Keith I Myers wrote:
> Hello All,
> I will be reaching out to this person this afternoon to try to get his
> side of the story. We will all agree that the posting on CraigsList is
> extremely vague and leaves A LOT of room for speculation and the
> article on Softpedia covering the story was written in a way that it
> could incite anger, lets not fall for it until we get both sides of
> the story. A journalist should NEVER publish a one sided story without
> at least making an attempt to reach out to the other party involved.
> Lets not question this persons intelligence or resort to insults.
>
> If this person is actually charging users $30.00 to install Ubuntu
> Gnome on their machine and make sure everything works, then this
> person is doing nothing wrong and in many ways should be an
> inspiration to the community as this person is helping to spread
> Ubuntu Gnome to his local area. I personally would love to see such
> grass-root businesses spring up all over the place to not only do the
> install but also provide support. If this is the case, I will ask this
> person to re-write the CraigsList posting to be much more clear and in
> a way that it respects the Ubuntu and Gnome trademarks.

We don't know what the person's limitations might be ........ maybe
English is not his/her native language. Why stir the pot? Is he actually
doing anyone any harm? Has anyone actually complained that they've been
negatively impacted (aka; ripped off)?

I truly suggest we just drop this to avoid sounding like a bunch of kids
fighting over who gets to use the sand box.

Lance

> However if this person is simply downloading the ISO and burning it to
> a DVD/Flash Drive then I will try my best to educate him about the
> ethical issues of selling "free software". I would ask that he
> discontinue this and if it does continue then we will need to decide
> our next steps.

Even then I see no real problem. I've created a vast number of live
DVD's at no cost to the recipient, but I do accept donations to cover my
out-of-pocket costs. Live USB's w/persistence are a different story. The
cost of USB sticks varies greatly but $30 is about what I charge for a
32GB live USB, again just to recover my out-of-pocket costs and a bit
for my time.