Someone Tries to Sell Ubuntu GNOME Linux OS on Craigslist for $30

Ali/amjjawad amjjawad at gnome.org
Mon Jun 22 06:18:30 UTC 2015

Hi,

http://www.ubuntu.com/about/about-ubuntu/licensing

> This person could actually be doing a public service? What if your
> download speeds are too low or too expensive?

For nearly a year, I've been converting people to GNU/Linux left and right
and I did that 'not' for free, but for money. However, before I do
anything, I have informed the user/client that I'm charging for the
service, NOT the software itself. Usually, my services were involving much
more of just installation. I had to do other things beside installation.

All that led me to think about it deeply .. why not expand that and make my
living instead of spending my entire life updating my CV and beg for a job?

So, Kibo was born:
http://kibo.computer/

And, I just got my first client the other day. I managed to convert the
lady from Windows 7 that couldn't even boot in to Xubuntu 14.04 LTS and all
that happened ONLINE .. I did not touch anything .. I was giving
instructions and she (the user) was doing it herself.

My charges where for my time + efforts, NOT the software itself.

> It is more likely that someone is trying to make a quick buck. Hopefully
> not someone distributing a dodgy copy with malware. Then again, when was
> the last time normal people do the checksums?
>
> Some years ago someone was  selling CDs of ubuntu in amazon or ebay.
> Since canonical stopped providing CDs they were actually providing a
> service.

The reason I asked someone (thanks To Keith) to contact that person, is to
find out what is going on? if you go back to my original email, I didn't
say anything :) I am not even upset, but so curious to understand what is
going on :) so, let's hold our horses and wait for Keith ;)

> And wow. Softpedia looks like a horrible website.

That's your own personal opinion. I'd ask you nicely and politely not to
get into this kind of topics here :)

> --
> http://richmondmakerlabs.uk
> http://www.coderdojoham.org/
> http://www.hamunitedgroup.org.uk/

Thank you for your reply :)

All what we need to do now is wait for Keith's feedback :)

Ali/amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad>

*http://kibo.computer <http://kibo.computer>* - http://torios.net - Ubuntu
GNOME <http://ubuntugnome.org/>