[Artwork] Ubuntu GNOME - the new logo by Patrik Bubak

Tim darkxst at fastmail.fm
Mon Jul 27 08:16:44 UTC 2015

On 27/07/15 13:51, Ali/amjjawad wrote:

> There was a GOOD reason why I have created these sub-teams.
>
> Why? you might ask or wonder even after reading the above link which I'd assume you will click on it and have a read ...
>
> Because:
>
>  1. EACH AND EVERYONE here, who is working as a volunteer and NOT getting PAID, is doing a favor to the entire world. YES. We must respect
>     that, all of us. WE ARE doing this because we love it, period. Yet, we are not getting paid. Show more respect to the time invested into
>     this :)
>  2. EACH AND EVERYONE here has a specific task to do, specially core members.
>
> There was a good reason why Alfredo and his team is leading or driving the artwork team.
>
> There was a good reason why Tim is our head of developers.
>
> There was a good reason why I am the community manager.
>
> Why do I have to repeat that over and over again? :(
>
> If you have any problem with any sub-team or member, do approach ME!

I'm going to add to this, since the false sense of entitlement that random community members seem to have in open source communities is just
poison. All the team leads, have put significant (and mostly massive amounts of) time + effort into contribution to Ubuntu GNOME, and at the end
of the day, someone needs make the final decisions, they all have a proven track record. We can not listen to and accommodate every single
individuals wants/needs. Can you imagine the mess we would end up in if we tried to follow every crazy idea! At the end of the day the Team
Leads sum up the community input and make the final call, of course there will be some that don't like the decisions, but we can't please everyone.

We do listen to community feedback, but so far as the logo redesign goes, at this point we are well past the discussion phase. This has been
ongoing for atleast 6 months, probably more with bits and pieces posted on both the main list and the artwork list. There were several proposed
logos over that time. Patrik's logo was first unveiled in April [1], that was the time for these discussion not now (I believe at that time,
there was no opposition to the logo).

Seriously if people want a say in how Ubuntu GNOME runs or what happens etc, then you should join the relevant sub-team and start contributing.
That is how open source works in the real world, the more you contribute the more you get a say in the project. An active subteam member carries
the weight of probably a 100 users when it comes to decisions like this. And again its not we don't listen to our users or comummity, but we
would end up with a complete cluster fuck if we did what every single one wanted.

So on that note, as co-founder of Ubuntu GNOME (and head dev). This is going to be our new logo, while I agree it seems a little abstract to the
uninitiated, the human mind is incredibly good at making associations between symbols and words, once someone sees the full logo (with Ubuntu
GNOME text), they will forever know this is us, even when used just as a roundel.

So please all take a step back, think of something constructive that you can contribute, and work on that. Make Ubuntu GNOME stronger, not drag
it into the trolling world of bullshit, that exists across much open-source news sites/forums etc.

[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-gnome/2015-April/002976.html