Feedback Results

Ali/amjjawad amjjawad at gnome.org
Sun Jul 26 02:20:16 UTC 2015

Hi Charlie,
Thanks for your email :)

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 7:25 PM, Charlie Moss <charlie at charliemoss.com>
wrote:

> The results are clear that every one want the latest version of Gnome.
> Personally I wouldn't use, Ubuntu Gnome, if I couldn't get Gnome 3.16.

Indeed. That's our hardest and toughest challenge. We fought so hard to get
an LTS and we just did. To my surprise, the majority prefer the latest over
the more stable. At least, that's what the survey said. I have prevented
people to vote twice so these figures are accurate. I know 500 is not the
base of our users, there are more. But as with any survey, I'd stick to the
data we collected and won't assume, at least for now.

We have discussed that many times already:
http://ubuntugnome.org/gnome-3-12/

> Around 50% of users are happy to help.

Yes, that was great :)

> I would like to suggest the position of community host/s (or some such
> title) are created.  People to greet new members and make them feel
> welcome.

Ubuntu GNOME is the one and only project within Ubuntu world which has a
Human Resources Sub-Team:
http://ubuntugnome.org/hr-sub-team/

I was unable to handle 5 sub-teams at the same time, so I asked for help. A
good friend (a member of this community) stepped in. It seems his real life
was even busier than mine. So, if truth to be told, we did nothing on that
area.

So, we have the whole setup but we have no active people to handle it.

> My personal experience as a new member was, to be brutally honest, very
> very poor.  I still have no clue how I can help, how to get Involved, etc
> as questions I have asked on the mailing list have never received a single
> response.  Also, I asked if the new logo had been decided or submissions
> were still open. No reply, so I created a design and shared it. Still no
> reply, and I still don't know if the new logo has been decided.
>
> This is my first experience of an open source community, so a certain
> level of guidance from other members is required. I am sure the majority of
> new people, 'happy to help', will be the same. If it wasn't for an
> inspiring email from Ali I would have considered myself unwelcome and given
> up.

I am so sorry for that poor/bad experience you had. I am glad my email did
something helpful :)

Building a system is easy if you know what you're doing. Trust me, from a
long experience, I can tell you that building a community is the hardest
and toughest thing of all. It may take years :) I've been around here for 2
years (since 22-July-2013) and until now, we lack many things or at least,
I couldn't implement the vision I still have in mind.

Dealing with different people from different parts of the world is the
hardest of all. I do this because I LOVE it. However, it is a huge burden.
It could kill you, I am not kidding. It could make you cry. But it could
also make you so happy and useful. I always took the positive side, even
though my health is somehow damaged because of it. Yes, it is really tough
to keep up with many projects. Ubuntu GNOME is not my one and only project.
Check:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad

And, there are more projects I haven't listed on my Wiki which I am still
involved with.

So, you see, I'm doing my best here to keep up with everything which is
crazy :)

I'd suggest to join the HR sub-team and be active. I will tell you why I
think you can be super useful.

When I suggested an idea to Lubuntu team 3 years ago or so, about creating
another spin that is even lighter than Lubuntu, many laughed and thought I
am crazy. Thanks to them, I started:
ToriOS - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad#Tori.2BnOU-OS

Which is lighter than Lubuntu and supports the very old computers that
Lubuntu, by default, can't support anymore.

Point is: because you had a bad experience and you're talking/sharing it,
it means you could be the best to prevent that to happen yet again to
someone else. Simply, this is the philosophy I live by.

I did it again. When no one was interested to hire me or maybe I failed to
impress someone, I started this:
http://kibo.computer/

I created my own platform to pay my bills. I will not spend my entire life
time updating CVs just to impress someone somewhere who is not even reading
my CV for whatever reason. Call me crazy but I believe crazy people are the
ones who have the ability to change the world :P

Sorry to talk/write too much. But this is a public invite to you and
everyone else who think he/she could be of any help within HR sub-team of
Ubuntu GNOME :)

> Regards,
>
> *Charlie*

Thank you!