Respulsiveness [was: Re: Call for a meeting (IRC/Hangout)]

Satyajit Sahoo satyajit.happy at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 21:02:29 UTC 2015

> All that user wants is for the gift to be accepted. But you usually
> turn down such gifts very rapidly. You quickly say why it's a bad
> idea. I think I can find numerous examples if I dig in the lists.
> Charlie Moss, would perhaps of course be just one example, If I may be
> so bold to include him here, seeing as that he has already left.

So, basically what you are trying to say is, when someone tries to
contribute, we should accept his contribution, to encourage him, right?
You're right, but you are a bit biased. You don't see from the viewpoint of
the project.

What if someone comes and says, I don't like GNOME Shell, use GNOME Classic
by default in Ubuntu GNOME?

Well, he is right at his position, and he sees GNOME Shell as a bad thing,
and wants to improve Ubuntu GNOME by getting rid of the bad thing.

What do we do in this case? Agree with him because his motives were good,
and he wanted to contribute? Of course we cannot do that. If disagreeing
with him drives him away, what could we do to stop that? We cannot agree
with him just for the sake of keeping him, right? If his views don't align
with Ubuntu GNOME's, we cannot do much to keep him.

You are pretty much saying "accept things as they are, work with it,
> do not try to go against it, and you may get somewhere". But that's
> the sort of thing you say to a new employee that you really want to
> exploit. That's the sort of thing a crime boss might say to a new guy,
> or some employer might say to an employee or newcomer he/she wants to
> work to the max and ensure .....

Seriously?

People want to first get their idea accepted. Then they want to work
> on getting it realised to some extent. Then as the process goes they
> want to become a part of the community they are entering. Then they
> will seek to expand that community or enterprise, or expand their own
> involvement, ideas, etc. Then they will want to learn about the bigger
> ecosystem. It goes in stages.

Yes, people do want that. But you are forgetting that, we're a large
project, with many members. There will be conflicting ideas. There will be
ideas which won't fit with the project's goals. We cannot accept every
idea, just to expand our team. What we want in the end, is a good product,
to make Ubuntu GNOME better. We've to make choices to be able to do that,
and yes, those choices will conflict with some people's views. There is
nothing anyone can do anything about that.

But what you are now wishing for, expecting, hoping or demanding that
> users do, is to reverse that process. You want them to first accept
> like Ubuntu Gnome as their group. You want them to recognise the
> community and what they've done and what they're doing. Then once they
> are "in the group" you want them to perform duties for the group. Then
> finally you want them to have ideas.

Yes, I think that's logical. Acceptance should be from both sides. We've to
accept the users, and users have to accept us. It doesn't work one way. We
cannot just accept someone if he doesn't accept our views.

And the authoritative nature of some of the groups here (I have only
> witnessed the design team) doesn't help either.

You don't tell a coder how to code. That's why he is a coder, and not you,
because he can code better than you, unless you're a coder. Why shouldn't
it be the same for designers?

Ever try telling a coder how to code, and I promise, you won't get a nice
response. I'm just stating the reality.

Why should anyone do work they don't want to do? Just so that YOU will
> finally accept them? As part of the whole, the borg, the group?
> Assimilated.

Because he finds our project interesting, because he wants to contribute to
something he loves. And how can he love our project if he disagrees with
whatever we say?

I'm all happy when someone new wants to contribute to the project. If he
has new, interesting ideas, which improve the project, I'm all for it. But
if his ideas conflict with the existing ideas, unless it's a better one, we
cannot just sacrifice the existing ideas.

Again, try being in our position once and have a good look at it. Say you
had a project. There were some people who were actively involved and you
all had a view of your project's direction. The next day someone new comes
in. You're happy to see him, but he wants to change things, which conflict
with your views. What would you do?

Satyajit Sahoo
UX Designer
Behance Profile <https://www.behance.net/satyajitha28c7>

We're all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? — The Doctor,
Season 5, Episode 13.