[Suggestion] Replace Applications menu ext. with Gno-menu

Tim darkxst at fastmail.fm
Sun Aug 2 09:31:47 UTC 2015

We have avoided shipping additional extensions (apart from the official ones in gnome-shell-extensions) for a number of reasons:

- We aim to ship a vanilla gnome experience, and really most extensions become user preference, they are for the most part a niche, and if not
(and everyone on the planet really wants a particular extension), then it should be proposed for inclusion into core gnome-shell.
- Extensions break with most new releases and many lack proper maintenance, they can be slow to be fixed, and are a nightmare to package, for
the most part there is not even proper versioning on the releases..
- Many extensions ultimately get abandoned when the original author gets bored with them and never picked up by others.

Based on the above, I am against even having any extra extensions available in the archives, i'm certainly not going to install them by default.
For what its worth we had all sorts of breakage when we uploaded gnome-shell 3.16 to wily, caused by the dozen or so extensions that synced from
debian.

It seems to me that it would be best to just have a page on the new website that highlights a bunch of the more popular extensions, people can
then go to e.g.o and install the ones they like.

Tim