OT: Upstart user sessions (was Re: Did an upgrade to 15.04 from 14.10: Reporting bugs)

Tim darkxst at fastmail.fm
Tue Apr 28 22:53:59 UTC 2015

On 29/04/15 05:16, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 05:11:34PM +1000, Tim wrote:
>> On 28/04/15 15:56, Marius Gedminas wrote:
>>> Some session logs are in ~/.cache/upstart/ (15.04 uses systemd for the
>>> system boot and upstart for user sessions.)
>> I don't think they ever got upstart user sessions working under systemd, atleast they arent working on ubuntu GNOME
> Eh?
I should have been more specific, I meant the logging, under systemd

~/.cache/upstart/gnome-session-GNOME.log wont exist and in fact there are no user accessible session logs (journalctl requires privledges to access)

> $ pgrep -l upstart
> 2340 upstart
> 2414 upstart-udev-br
> 2478 upstart-dbus-br
> 2481 upstart-dbus-br
> 2485 upstart-file-br
>
> pstree shows
>
>   systemd
>     gdm
>       gdm-session-wor
>         gdm-x-session
>           Xorg
>           dbus-daemon
>           upstart
>             dbus-daemon
>             dconf-service
>             gnome-session
>             gnome-terminal
>             chromium-browse
>             pulseaudio
>             (a bunch of other daemons)
>
> This is Ubuntu GNOME 5.04 with the default GNOME session.
>
> There was one Ubuntu release where I was surprised not to find anything
> useful in ~/.xsession-errors.  I learned about gdm moving the session logs
> into ~/.cache/gdm/session.log
that was an upstream change
> , and just as I got used to that, the very
> next Ubuntu release (I forgot which!) implemented Upstart user sessions
> and moved the session logs into ~/.cache/upstart/gnome-session.log.
that was as you mention to implementing upstart user sessions
> (And the *next* one renamed them to ~/.cache/upstart/gnome-session-GNOME.log.
This was a side-effect of splitting out the unity-settings-daemon and unity-control-center forks