Nautilus "open in terminal" not working correctly, how to fix?

Bruce Pieterse dev at otq.za.net
Fri Apr 17 16:10:45 UTC 2015

On 17/04/2015 14:54, Swarnendu Biswas wrote:
> I am using Vivid with Gnome3 ppas enabled. My default shell is "fish".
> I tested this, and it works okay for me.
>

> On Friday, 17 April 2015 7:02 AM, David González <allenskd at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> Hey Alfredo,
>
> Thanks for replying. I spent an hour or more verifying the bug then
> came to the conclusion that it only works with bash right now. If you
> look closely I use `zsh` (hard to tell); I don't know if it works with
> other shells like `fish` I guess I could confirm that , maybe someone
> here could run another shell that's not `bash` just to confirm.
>
> Which is weird because when I was using Fedora 21 with GNOME 3 it just
> worked fine even with a custom command placed. (I'm double-checking as
> we speak, waiting for yum upgrade to finish running)
>
> Cheers,
> David
>

> On 04/17/2015 03:10 AM, Alfredo Hernández wrote:
>> Are you using the PPAs? I say this because I use them and everything
>> works fine, and it may be a bug in the default system version we ship.
>> Cheers,
>> Alfredo
>> On 17 Apr 2015 6:14 am, "David González" <allenskd at gmail.com
>> <mailto:allenskd at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     It works correctly under Ubuntu/Unity 15.04 but under Ubuntu
>>     GNOME 15.04 it always ends up in my home directory no matter
>>     where I am:
>>
>>     Small demonstration video:
>>     https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37705/screencast-terminal.webm
>>
>>     With that, well I just want to fix that little annoyance myself
>>     but I ran out of ideas. I use that myself dozens of times a week
>>     so yea, it's a bit frustrating not having working correctly. :(
>>

>>     (P.S to those curious, the @DATADIRNAME@ is installed from
>>     gnome-boxes which I guess I should file a bug in their tracker)
>>
>>     --
>>     Cheers,
>>     David
>>
>>     --

Adding my response to the mailing list (e-mailed directly to Swarnendu
from phone by accident):

I use ZSH and don't have this problem on two machines. Have your tried
purging the nautilus-open-terminal package, reinstalling and restarting
nautilus (nautilus -q and open Files again). You could also try nautilus
-q then firing up Files again and then testing to see if open in
terminal works correctly before purging the package.

--
All the best,

Bruce