GNOME-Shell keyboard layout bug

Julien Olivier julo42 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 04:34:47 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

as you've probably noticed, there is a very nasty bug in Ubuntu (and
Ubuntu GNOME) that resets the keymap to english each time gnome-shell
starts. This is due to a change in IBus default dconf values done by
Canonical.

I know you're supposed to post bug reports instead of complaining on
mailing lists, but the fact is that the bug has already be reported,
confirmed, duplicated, and... ignored, like about 95% of bugs only
affecting GNOME :(

Here's the bug report:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/indicator-keyboard/+bug/1240198

This is an absolute blocker (makes the keyboard unusable for non-english
users after most reboots) and *needs* to be fixed before the next stable
release. More over, the fix is an absolute no brainer: just change the
dconf default setting back to its upstream value
(set /desktop/ibus/general/use-system-keyboard-layout to true).

I do believe in the Ubuntu GNOME project, but I don't really think
Ubuntu developers care at all about GOME any more, so, if anyone else is
interested in Ubuntu GNOME bugs, it's time to do something...

Thanks!