Junior Jobs page

Efstathios Iosifidis iefstathios at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 09:12:04 UTC 2014

Hello community,

I know from inside communities that people usually leave because of
the lack of interest (nothing to do, no one to point them exactly what
to do and help them maybe proceed with harder tasks), sometimes some
be heretic of what to do in the community and people leave because of
him/her, of course personal life (work, family).

I think we should agree the level of users and what the can do. My
personal opinion is:

End users: can start from translation (wiki or part of the GUI or even
better GNOME in general), artwork (if they know), engagement
(promotion at events, LUGs, even facebook-plus-twitter, write articles
when they'll have more experience), QA

Power Users: all of the above, documentation, technical support and
focus on development

GNOME has users-admins (https://help.gnome.org/)

> We do have this:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/GettingInvolved

Well, this is very generic page. The new guy just read the information
and that's it.

We already has a Junior Job and you saw how it worked out well. Ali,
you said we have to translate Release notes and you see how many
languages are there.

So:

Translation junior jobs (point the tutorial of translation):
- Specific wiki pages (Release notes, one stop page).
- Slideshow

Artwork (create a github to store them and )
- wiki page of the rules how the logo should be. Do's and dont's.
- Banners for websites-forums
- counters for every release (we can use Ubuntu's but it would be nice
if we had ours)
- brochures
- icons to print t-shirts
- icons to print stickers

Engagement. The story is that me and a friend started openSUSE
community in my country. We joined every event possible, mainly local.
So we gathered many people. We managed after 3 years to bring global
conference in my city. Having said that, we should join and promote
Ubuntu GNOME at local events (next to Ubuntu guys or GNOME according
who participates), installfests, events at universities, release
parties of each Ubuntu release and GNOME release (don't forget that
we're GNOME as well). Feel free to get ideas from my posts, even the
whole text.
I wrote how to organize a release party
http://eiosifidis.blogspot.gr/2013/10/community-how-to-organize-release-party.html
I wrote how to organize your presence at conference
http://eiosifidis.blogspot.gr/2013/10/community-how-to-organize-your-trip.html

Apart from promo at events, social media is a strategic place. Ali,
you do everything by yourself I guess. Some people can take facebook,
some twitter, some google plus (of course you can link them all
together). They should check planets, omg, sites etc and post the
articles.

Some people should write articles for huge blogs-sites, forums etc.
Some people can translate for local communities.
Maybe a harder thing to have a newsletter or magazine (like full
circle) with the news from Ubuntu GNOME community (in Greek openSUSE
community, it helped the weekly news newsletter, where the someone
gathered posts from planets and we translated to Greek so many people
used to read it).

Another thing that can be done is create small videos of how to do
things (and add them to our youtube channel). Some videos are out
already. Example of videos:
- How to install
- How to enable extensions
- How to enable desktop control
- How to use gnome tweak tool
- How to change to gnome-classic-session
- How to change from super-space to alt-shift the keyboard layout
- How to use gnome (go to activities etc)

QA: I think it's already good and I saw focus on it. The end user
should learn how to report a bug correctly. Maybe a video is MUST here
too.

Regarding power users, they don't need guidance at all. BUT, we should
focus on get people from end users to power users. What I mean is that
someone might be bored of doing all the above and want to learn
someone more. To do that, he wants to read some tutorials to become
power user. He know how to install and customize. He wants to
start-stop services, make his system faster etc (DOCUMENTATION). Then
he wants to learn how to package something. How can do that? (FIND
DOCUMENTATION).
The guys in Greek Ubuntu Forum, created the school:
http://forum.ubuntu-gr.org/viewforum.php?f=53&sid=7dc37dd1f2e2b0de5f8e9a1567fb28a7&http

We don't have to create such thing. A proposal is a wiki page with
links on how to package something and then have 2-3 examples
explaining how to do that (so someone can do it step by step) and
finally 2-3 exercises.

To sum up, if someone become power user, can choose to do technical
support, write documentation or be developer for Ubuntu GNOME. Of
course he can do all the end user tasks as well.

Hey, I better stop here because it becomes a long mail and you'll be
bored to read it ;-)
Have phun,
Stathis

PS: Start a wiki page and let me write there some of the thoughts above.

--
http://www.iosifidis.gr    http://linkedin.iosifidis.gr

Great leaders don't tell you what to do...They show you how it's done.
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts...absolutely.