[Thinking Loudly] The Future of Ubuntu GNOME and The VV Cycle

Tim tim at feathertop.org
Wed Oct 29 07:33:01 UTC 2014

On 29/10/14 16:20, Jackson Doak wrote:
> No. 4, We used to have the current gnome release in each ubuntu release, but to get it working this time we need to get multiple transitions
> done before the release, and stage most of the 3.15 releases in PPA to make sure everything is handled as soo as 3.16 releases
I don't think its realistic to land 3.16 in Vivid. It probably needs to be planned and executed over a number of cycles. Things will become
easier once Canonical diverge with convergance plan, but that is still some way off.

Roughly speaking:
1. We have a couple of huge complex transitions to complete this cycle. GNOME tends to jump on new components very quickly but they don't deal
with multiple DE's like Ubuntu has to, and many of the other DE's are slower to catch up. This is mainly systemd, upower and BlueZ5

2.We also need to deal with the whole GtkHeaderBar/CSD's many core GNOME apps are blocked on versions by this

3. There are few other ubuntu-isms that we need to decouple, some of these may not even be possible until Unity8/Mir lands. Updating all of
GNOME with the large amount of Ubuntu patches in many components is far to much work for our teams.

The first step towards this, and what I think should be the goal for this cycle would be to ship a complete 3.14 (rather than a mismatch of
versions).

If can we get to a point where GTK is the only major shared component, we could probably switch to current GNOME.

There is always the big issue of release cycles, GNOME 3.14.0 was pretty unstable and buggy, and 3.14.1 which was much better only landed a few
days before final freeze. This is not an isolated incident, it has more or less happened most cycles I have been involved. That would have made
it impossible to ship the largely rock-solid release we did.

I wonder if we can find a better solution to this whole thing. Perhaps using one of the milestone development releases as a "virtual" release
where we declare current GNOME mostly stable. This should be enough perhaps for developer/bleeding edge type users? Development releases are
pretty stable these days, with all the automated testing that must pass before packages make it into the archives.