[Ubuntugnome-qa] To Upgrade Or Not to Upgrade?

Ali/amjjawad amjjawad at gnome.org
Sat Oct 25 01:57:32 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 11:09 PM, Erick Brunzell <lbsolost at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  Hi Ali and everyone,

Hi Lance and everyone,

> On 10/24/2014 01:10 AM, Ali/amjjawad wrote:
>
>  Hi all,
>
>  To make life easier for everyone, here is something that hopefully will
> help to achieve that:
>
> http://ubuntugnome.org/to-upgrade-or-not-to-upgrade/
>
>  Thank you :)
>

> That looks good

Thank you, at least someone liked that :) no one else seemed interested :(

> but I'm wondering about the download page:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/GetUbuntuGNOME
>
> Now I'm just thinking out loud, as Ali always says "All of us are smarter
> than any one of us." When I look at the download page I see no reference
> to "which version should I use".

Great quote, I highly believe in that motto and it has changed my life so
great choice :D

You are right. I haven't mentioned that because it is entirely up to the
user to decide .. however:

> So should we add a link to this upgrade-or-not page on the download page?

Yes, that is great idea. I will try to do it after going through "Upgrade
Or Not To Upgrade" post and make sure it is as easy to understand as
possible.

> Or would it be best to just add version specific info such as EOL dates to
> the download page?

And, we can add that as well. So, they could have both. This will make our
page (GetUbuntuGNOME) more powerful and useful. Rich of information and
easy to follow.

> Please share your thoughts and remember we want to write things so they
> can be understood by novices that are unaware of LTS vs interim release
> life cycles, etc.

Indeed. I highly agree with you and second what you mentioned :D

> Thanks,
>
> Lance

Thanks a lot. I invite everyone to think loudly and share their thoughts.

Once I have free time, I will work on that. Different time zones might make
things a big slower OR faster. Now, I am sharing the same time zone of Tim
and Jackson :)
Sometimes, that is a huge plus as Ubuntu GNOME was the very first flavour
that announced the release of 14.10 even before Ubuntu. Some other time, my
replies to any email on this list might take more than 8 hours due to
different time zones. We (Me, Tim and Jackson) are on +11 GMT at the moment.

Download Ubuntu GNOME <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/GetUbuntuGNOME>