[Ubuntugnome-qa] The Last Testing Round for Utopic Unicorn

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Fri Oct 24 11:29:16 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 08:28:39AM +1100, Tim wrote:
> On 24/10/14 05:52, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > I tried an i386 install test on real hardware today, which failed.  I
> > decided not to report the test to the tracker since the hardware doesn't
> > meet the minimum specifications.  This Asus EeePC 900 has only 1 GB of
> > RAM and the installer crashes due to an out of memory error late in last
> > stage of the install process (http://pad.lv/1384654).
>
> It should install fine with only 1GB RAM

Perhaps it would've, if I'd started the installer directly, instead of
booting into the live session and launching it as an app?

Or perhaps it would've, if I'd created a swap partition.  (The SSDs on
the Asus EeePC are *horrible*: slow and very poor write leveling.  I
don't want swap on them.)

> and gnome-shell itself runs fine on 1GB, its with day-to-day usage
> (firefox, and a bunch of apps open) you will probably end up swapping a heap.

Marius Gedminas
--
When 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) was released I performed my first installation but I
couldn’t get the sound to work. Searching the forums taught me all sorts of