Why?!

Bruce Pieterse dev at otq.za.net
Mon Oct 20 16:35:47 UTC 2014

On 20/10/2014 17:24, Ali/amjjawad wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know we are all volunteers and none of us and I mean NONE are working
> full-paid time on Ubuntu GNOME but seriously? you expect this project to
> be successful and become rock solid, etc while there is ONLY ONE testers
> who is using the ISO Tracker?
>
> http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/325/builds
>
> Seriously?
> May I know why? what is wrong or what is the problem? why only Lance is
> testing? prove me wrong and show off your testing but from what I can
> see, he is the only one ...
>
> Myself and Tim are not full-time worker on this project and this fact
> will remain as of now ...
>
> WE are all volunteers and I mean WE .. ALL of us are smarter, better,
> stronger, etc than anyone of us ... WE/ALL ... not I, you nor anyone ...
> without "WE", we shall accomplish nothing.
>
> Please DO NOT complain if you get a buggy release or less features
> release or whatever you may get ...
>
> Please, let's work side by side while we can. Real Life comes first,
> ankno doubt but since we are a community, I expected to see more
> contributions ...
>
> Thank you!
>
> P.S.
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/Testing
>
> --
> Best Regards,
> amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad>
> *Remember: *"All of us are smarter than any one of us."
>
> Ubuntu GNOME OneStopPage <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/OneStopPage>
> Join Ubuntu GNOME <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/GettingInvolved>
> Test Ubuntu GNOME <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/Testing>
> Contact Ubuntu GNOME <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/ContactUs>
> Download Ubuntu GNOME <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/GetUbuntuGNOME>

Hi Ali,

First time tester, but user of Ubuntu Gnome since 13.10. I completed
this ISO testing last night:
http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/325/builds/82004/testcases/1451/results

I started with testing on Friday and came across a bug[1] in test drive
using KVM, and as such got side-tracked and burnt two hours before
realising someone had fixed it already and the code was waiting to be
reviewed (bundled with other fixes). Please keep this in mind for delays
in testing.

Just a tip for those using testdrive, please use the GUI interface and
not the command line as KVM VM's seem to freeze (maybe just on my
hardware) after a successful install at unmounting crypto disks, which I
would have marked the test as failed if I didn't decide to try the test
again with Virtualbox. Also the default hard drive size set in testdrive
is incorrect and should be pushed up to 8GB as 6GB is not enough for
testing (6.5GB required) if running from the command line. First time
application use and finding out how it works can also be attributed to
testing delays.

Regarding packaging and bug fixing documentation, as a first time user I
found myself all over the place and then backtracking in the wiki,
updating a few small things along the way and continuing on. As you know
this takes time as well as installing the required tools. Not really for
testing, but if you get sidetracked, this could also delay testing.

For the test I did how can we get some momentum on that specific bug[2]?

And finally, I've been very keen to help out with Ubuntu Gnome since I
switched over to it in Feb this year, but had very little free time.
Please let me know where you need the most assistance. I am keen to do
testing, bug reporting as well as triaging, coding, packaging and
documentation. Yes, that's quite a bit to take on but I will do it one
step at a time ;)

Keep well and don't be to discouraged about the current state of
testing, I'm sure that things will get better as the user base for
Ubuntu Gnome increases.

By the way I've been using Ubuntu Gnome 14.10 since beta 2 and had no
problems both at work and at home, so I'm hoping that makes you feel
better :)

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/testdrive/+bug/1297377
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/1362333
--
All the best,

Bruce

FSF Member 10674 / The FSF is a charity with a worldwide mission to
advance software freedom / Join the Free Software Foundation:
http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=10674