Graphics problems during Ubuntu Gnome 14.10 installation

Bruce Pieterse dev at otq.za.net
Sun Oct 5 13:33:10 UTC 2014

On 30/09/2014 22:22, Swarnendu Biswas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently did a clean install of Ubuntu Gnome 14.10 daily build, the
> "install disk" test case passes, and I have updated it.
>
> A issue that I noted was that the screen flickers and there are graphics
> problems (e.g., several mouse pointers) on my laptop. I am using a Dell
> XPS 15z L502X model, with a Nvidia GeForce GT 540M card. The interesting
> thing is that I didn't experience such screen flickering issues with
> older releases on the same hardware.
>
> I am not sure whether this is a bug, and others have noticed it.
>
> --
> Swarnendu Biswas.

Hi Swarnendu,

I had the same problem with my Acer Aspire V7-331G with Nvidia Geforce
GT 630M card. Yesterday I figured out that my phantom display I've had
since 13.10 (both Unity and Gnome) is on and causes the graphics to
leave trailing artefacts and slight flickering.

I use my built-in display as primary and a external 19" Samsung as
secondary. The third display (probably my SVGA with no monitor
connected) was enabled but I disabled it and I no longer experienced the
flickering and trailing artefacts. This wasn't a problem in 14.04.

Head over to Activities > Displays and disable the third monitor if you
have one.

You might have a slightly different problem, but hopefully this will
work if you have the same problem as I did.

--
All the best,

Bruce

FSF Member 10674 / The FSF is a charity with a worldwide mission to
advance software freedom / Join the Free Software Foundation:
http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=10674