How to remove gnome documents?

Tim darkxst at fastmail.fm
Thu May 1 22:05:34 UTC 2014

On 01/05/14 22:29, Steve Ovens wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have spent some time looking into this but I can't find anything definitive. I want to use the recently used files functionality, however it
> always wants to open *everything* in gnome documents. This is a problem because a lot of the files have passwords and moreover, I actually
> want to *gasp* edit my files. In Arch I simply removed gnome-documents (or didnt install it in the first place). However in Ubuntu Gnome, the
> ubuntu-gnome-desktop gets removed when you remove gnome documents.
Are you talking about the search results in the overview or something else?
gnome-documents search provider will open files with gnome-documents.
nautilus search provider seems to open files with the last used editor.

> Is there a way to actually disable, or otherwise tell gnome documents I dont want to use it? Can I remove this file some how without removing
> the gnome-desktop meta package? Why are these considered dependencies?

gnome-documents used to be a hard dependency since it provides libgd which some other things used. I think these days libgd is mainly used as a
git submodule and staticcally linked into programs that require it.