14.04 Beta 2 Laptop Power/Brightness Issues

Paul Garvin pgarvin76 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 05:15:09 UTC 2014

Hi,

Trying out the 14.04 Beta 2 on my laptop. Its seems like Gnome failed to
detect that the system is a laptop. There are multiple things not working
that worked in 13.10. I'm willing to try things to help debug.

While installing I had the laptop plugged into AC power. After installation
I notice there is no battery icon in the "system status area" (I think that
is what Gnome is calling it these days) top right of screen. I recall in
previous Gnome versions it would hide the icon while on AC by default, but
there was an option to force it to always show. I can't find that option.

If I pull the power cord the icon shows up. Going into the power settings
it shows a battery, the charge percentage, and if it is charging or
discharging.

Also in power settings the options for "When the lid is closed" only allow
my to choose "do nothing". The suspend option is disabled. There is already
an LP bug for this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-power-manager/+bug/1286430

Doing some Googling I was advised to check for the "gnome-power-manager"
package. And indeed it was not installed. But installing it and then
rebooting did not make a difference.

In the Brightness and Lock settings I can slide the slider for screen
brightness but it has no effect. I can use the keyboard hotkeys for
brightness, and the icon shows up but again has not effect. And the
brightness slider is not shown in the "unified status menu" like I have
seen in Gnome 3.10 screenshots.

The system is an Acer Aspire 5733Z if that matters.

Thanks,

Paul