Call for Testing Trusty Tahr Final Beta Candidate

Christian Dysthe cdysthe at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 14:43:02 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-03-25 at 14:30 +0400, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 4:11 AM, Christian Dysthe <cdysthe at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>         Hi,
>
> Hi and thank you for your email :)
>

>         I did a fresh install on a Thinkpad T430S today. The
>         installation was uneventful and very quick which is good. I
>         had some glitches with the installer related to the
>         partitioning in 13.10 on that machine, but no problems in this
>         regard with 14.04.
>

> That is great to know :)
>
>         The microphone mute button is still not recognized in 14.04
>         but that seems to be a Deviant/Ubuntu issue (it works with all
>         other distros I have tried like Arch, Sabayon and Fedora).
>

> I'm sorry, not really sure which one is the Microphone Mute Button?

There's a mute, volume up, volume down and microphone mute button on
newer Thinkpads in the X and T series. On most distributions all of them
work but on Ubuntu GNOME and Debian/Ubuntu based distributions the
microphone mute button does not work. There's not even output from
'acpi_listen'. I do not have hopes up that it will work on Ubuntu GNOME
but it would sure have been a very pleasant surprise! :)

>         Finally, hibernation support is not enabled by default, but
>         that is also a Ubuntu issue it seems.
>

> IIRC (If I Remember Correctly), you need to press and hold 'Alt' while
> pointing your mouse at the shutdown button but I could be wrong -
> someone may correct me please if I'm wrong. I never use Hibernate.

The only way I have found to enable hibernation on Ubuntu GNOME is to
add
"/var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.ubuntu.enable-hibernate.pkla"
with this content:

[Re-enable hibernate by default in upower]
Identity=unix-user:*
Action=org.freedesktop.upower.hibernate
ResultActive=yes

[Re-enable hibernate by default in logind]
Identity=unix-user:*
Action=org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate
ResultActive=yes

You have to add an extension for Gnome-Shell also which adds the
hibernate button to the status menu.

I do not get why this isn't enabled by default. Again, it's working OOTB
on Fedora and Sabayon.

>         Boot time is a lot faster, approximately 30% which is
>         phenomenal.  Other than that nothing to report. This is going
>         to be a great release!
>

> I feel so bad that I couldn't get a machine to install Ubuntu GNOME
> Trusty and test it :(

You are really missing out! :)

--
//Christian