Gnome and Unity cohabitation

Tim tim at feathertop.org
Thu Jun 5 22:00:59 UTC 2014

On 06/06/14 05:27, David Raphaël wrote:
> Hello Ubuntu Gnome Team!
> Recently, I switched to Ubuntu Gnome from my Ubuntu with Unity. I desire to use it at some ocasion but still want to stay with Unity for most
> of my work. And there is something that bother me in the sense that it set up Ubuntu Gnome as the default desktop of the OS. What I mean is
> that all my sessions have the Gnome flag marked as default in lightdm. And I honestly think that the default desktop should never be changed,
> for the user not to get lost. I know that Gnome is tightly linked with Unity in the sense that they have to share the gconf schemas. So I
> suppose that installing Gnome overrided the schemas from unity. This schemas sharing also produced some troubles of compatibility between both
> desktops (for example when changing the windows theme).
If you prefer the ubuntu defaults, then just uninstall ubuntu-gnome-default-settings
> So here is my question:
> Do you think it would be technically possible to have better separation between the schemas of Gnome and Unity in oder to make them cohabite
> in a better way?
There is currently no way to do per-session overrides, so you can only have one system default setting and then the users setting. I suppose it
would be possible to patch glib to provide something like this however I don't think upstream are interested in implementing it.