GNOME Music, Weather and Maps

Tim tim at feathertop.org
Tue Feb 18 09:59:39 UTC 2014

On 18/02/14 20:18, Julien Olivier wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>>          I agree that we should push GNOME core apps as much as
>>>          possible, but we
>>>          need to make sure first that they are ready. Else, it will
>>>          only give a
>>>          very bad impression and everybody's going to lose. By the
>>>          way, this
>>>          raises (again) the question of Epiphany (Web now) vs
>>>          Firefox...
>> Firefox has a huge advantage in that it comes with free (to us)
>> security updates for the life of the release. That alone is probably
>> reason enough to stick with Firefox.
>>>
> Sorry, I'm not sure I understand you there. Do you mean that GNOME
> doesn't release security updates? Isn't that a problem for more than
> Epiphany then? And isn't there a way to fix it instead of just using
> another piece of software?

Epiphany is based on webkit, no idea what the upstream maintenance
period for that it is, but its unlikely to be anywhere near the length
of an LTS release. Webkit isnt really core in Ubuntu so is really just
synced from Debian. GNOME also really doesnt have any concept of Long
Term Support at this stage, now that RHEL is using gnome3 I suppose
Redhat will maintain backports of security fixes for their customers,
these will eventually filter down through CentOS however no idea how
accessible they will be, only Redhat customers can access the source in
the interim of the filter down period.

Firefox as the default browser in Ubuntu not only has the full support
from Canonical's teams, its is also one of the few apps that is on a
rolling release of types (probably partly due to Mozilllas ESR releases
are only supported for 12months), in that it will actually see major new
versions during the Trusty Life Cycle.