[Proposal] Weekly Report

David B Yentzen dbyentzen at fastmail.fm
Mon Feb 10 15:37:07 UTC 2014

+1 a nice idea

Abidingly,

David

On Sun, Feb 9, 2014, at 01:52 PM, Satyajit Sahoo wrote:

I think it's a fantastic idea :)

On Monday, 10 February 2014, Alfredo Hernández
<[1]aldomann.designs at gmail.com> wrote:

That would be a fantastic way to keep everyone informed and is may be
convenient for all sub-teams.

On 9 February 2014 17:06, Jean-Marc Gailis <jeanmarc.gailis at gmail.com>
wrote:

+1
At this time, there isn't any work done in my team, and I'm currently
planning to do everything during my holydays that start the 15th.

Jean-Marc Gailis
Jānis-Marks Gailis
Administrator at BDN.bf
Burkina Data Network
A non-profit DIY ISP.
Taking the web to the Burkina.
Ubuntu GNOME Translations Coordinator
Latvian Ubuntu Translator
Mozilla Translator Team
Think Global, Make Locales.

Hi Everyone,

First of all, I know I've been away from real action lately due to some
problems I'm having. Some of these that I can share with you here is my
inbox is receiving more than 100 emails daily and I'm totally lost.
However, that should be fixed now. I have created new email for
everything that is not Ubuntu GNOME related and updated all my
subscriptions. It is really hard to handle many projects at the very
same time :)

Second of all, I've been thinking a lot of how to get the best of the
Sub-Teams, how to improve the internal communications, how to overcome
the endless issue of having a monthly meeting and above all, how to let
our users and even the members of this community to stay 'up-to-date'
with each and everything that is going on.

If truth to be told, the idea that I am going to propose has come as a
hint from a friend who has nothing to do with Ubuntu GNOME but we were
chatting the other day and he told me this:

"In Germany the people prefer official flavors like Lubuntu. The only
unofficial flavor of Ubuntu that is "popular" is Bodhi Linux, I think
mainly because Jeff Hoogland is communicative and tells the world
what's going on. He has a blog, where he shares his experiences with
Bodhi Linux development."

The above statement/paragraph made me think a lot.
I was about to propose that our development team starts to share some
news about what exactly they're doing. Not everyone has a technical
background and most if not all the whole world would like to know what
is going on with Ubuntu GNOME.

I think this is a key success not just to improve the internal
communications between team members and/or improve things but to gain
more and more popularity. When you tell people about what we do, that
is an easy way to attract people to join. If other developers will
understand what exactly is happening, they might join. Other
Non-Technical people might also be interested to join. IMHO, this is
MUCH BETTER than keep nagging on our Social Media Channels and beg for
more help. Tell you the truth, it just not working anymore. I am not
interested to post any call of help because simply people don't like
that anymore. I can tell that because only very few who click "Like" or
"+1" and this will do the opposite - losing interested people. That is
NOT what we need.

That said, my final proposal is:

Each Leader/Driver of each Sub-Team of Ubuntu GNOME needs to provide a
Weekly Report of what is going on with his/her team.

Yes, that is indeed what the Blueprints are for but NOT everyone is
familiar with that. Above all and this is what I personally care for,
the users can't really understand anything from a blueprint.

These Weekly Reports should be in form of 'Email' not a Wiki Page, not
a blueprint, nothing complicated. Just a simple and plain email.

These Weekly Reports will be posted on our website and social media
channels every week.

Each Monday (for example), we will share our reports with the whole
world so submission should be before that.

News, Updates, Plans, stuff like that. That is all about. No Technical
stuff or things that hard to understand. Just interesting things that
the world needs to know about us.

Ea

--

Satyajit Sahoo