No Canonical spying left in Ubuntu GNOME?

David B Yentzen dbyentzen at fastmail.fm
Wed Feb 5 16:18:03 UTC 2014

Hello Christian,
  While I can respect your desire to leave Ubuntu due to privacy
concerns, I do take strong issue with your characterization of such
features as spyware. You may wish to spend some time acquainting
yourself with what constitutes spying. That said, there are several ways
to deal with it. There exist a fairly large body of resources that allow
you to turn off, disable, or completely remove the shopping features and
Dash features in Unity that you do not care to use.  You simply need to
a little leg work.
  I do, however, agree with you that Canonical would better serve its
user base by, a: informing the end user of features during install and
b: making opt-out by default.
By the way, you may wish to be more concerned about the use of Zeitgiest
than features that Canonical informs you about and then tells you how to
disable.

Abidingly,
David

<mailto:cdysthe at gmail.com>> wrote:

>     Hi,
>

> Hi :)
>

>     One of my main reasons for leaving stock Ubuntu for Ubuntu GNOME
was the
>     spying and sales pitches through the HUD in Unity. I couldn't find
a way
>     to get rid of it all. I do like Gnome Shell a lot but there are
aspects
>     of Ubuntu I would not like to give up (like PPA access) so Ubuntu
GNOME
>     was as close as I could get to what I had.
>
>     One question I have though is whether all of the spyware like
additions
>     to stock Ubuntu is gone in Ubuntu GNOME (as long as I do not add any
>     Unity related packages to my system)?. I just would like to have
>     confirmed that Ubuntu GNOME is clean in this regard.
>

> We're not using (obviously) Unity, hence the name of our system
(Ubuntu GNOME).

> Linux supposed to be secure and has no such thing as spying :)
>
> I am not really sure from where exactly that came from? seems to me a
cheap joke by Linux hater who are trying to shake the solid ground but
that is my personal opinion.

> I'm not expert in Security but if you're too much worried about spying
stuff, you shouldn't use Facebook or any other Social Media Network. In
fact, there is nothing 100% secure over the Internet. I'm sure you're
following the news :)