[Trusty Tahr Roadmap] Tasks of Each Sub-Team & Full Report

hadi remonion hadirezaei at gmx.com
Mon Feb 3 13:54:50 UTC 2014

Hello Ali.

Nice job on the accessibility page, though it has some problems. I don't
know how to comment on the blueprints section and participate, so i just
leave mine here.

First of all, regarding installation, as a visually impaired it's
impossible to see the screen and choose the option that you want.
(ScreenReader in this case)
And the instructions are for people who can see the screen
(I myself am blind, and i think you have included pictures in that page)

For installation as a blind user, all you need to do is to hit control
plus S at the beginning, and ScreenReader will kick in and will begin to
assist blind users. it will guide you  through the setup, and then will
automatically set ScreenReader on, and puts it into the autostart
services. so after installation completes and the OS reboots, the user
can easily work with his/her computer easily with speech feedback.

So, the things that i believe should be done:
1: If possible, please bring back the drum sound which would play when
ubuntu's installation screen comes up. in this way the blind user will
know that  ubuntuGnome is ready to take the command (control +s). if for
some reason you do not like the drum sound which ments to be ubuntu's,
another sound, maybe just a beep helps.

2: in the accessibility page, please mention that  ubuntuGnome is
accessible for blind and visually impaired from the very beginning, and
all they need to do after putting the disk in, is to wait for the system
to load up, and hit control+s, so they get speech-feedback.

Since ubuntuGnome is a different distro, many blind users (such as
myself) will wonder that if it is accessible out of the box, or the
developpers have stripped out the accessibility options. so they decide
to  contact the mailinglist before downloading it and trying it out. (I
did the same thing since i'm low on bandwidth, and Tim said that ubuntu
gnome uses the same ubuntu installer, so i went ahead and installed it.).
Unity is a nightmare for screen-reader users. and i will never recommend
it to newcomers to linux. so  ubuntuGnome can be the great OS for
starting as well, for visually impaireds.

Cheers
Hadi
p.s sorry for my bad english