[Attention] Ubuntu GNOME QA Team

Erick Brunzell lbsolost at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 18 11:52:45 UTC 2014

On 12/18/2014 04:00 AM, Tim wrote:
> [...]
>>> *ALL* of us are *smarter* than anyone of us.
>>>
>>> That said, starting from the QA team of Ubuntu GNOME, I'd like to propose this:
>>>
>>> Instead of one-man take the burden of this team on his shoulder, why not more are involved (phase 1)? and why not the whole team is involved
>>> (phase 2)?
>>>
>>> Simply, this is not Ali-QA-UbuntuGNOME nor Tim-QA-UbuntuGNOME ... there 'must' be a 'team' and there must be a 'community' efforts.
>>>
>>> What does that mean?
>>>
>>> *It means, QA team should have MORE than just one driver. One driver is not enough at all. *
>>>
>>> There is this team on Launchpad:
>>> https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugnome-qa <https://launchpad.net/%7Eubuntugnome-qa>
>>>

>>> With 29 members:
>>> https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugnome-qa/+members#active <https://launchpad.net/%7Eubuntugnome-qa/+members#active>
>>>
>>> I see no logical reason why there is only one man handling most if not all the main tasks within this team? it means there is something wrong ...
>>>
>>> So, either we work as a team or we delete that team and there is absolutely no need to it.
>>>
>>> If the choice is mine, I'd step in and share the burden and move forward with 'better' quality. Having everything between one-man-hands is
>>> just not right. I could write a long list of reasons but I'm 100% sure I don't really have to as I'm 100% sure you all can understand and
>>> figure out what I'm trying to explain here.

>>> More and further information can be discussed later with only interested and serious people.
>>>
>>> NOTE:
>>> This is not taking over the QA Team, this is an invite to share the burden and drive this team as a community/team.
>>>
>>> Good night!
>>>
>>> [1] - http://amjjawad.net/my-ultimate-goal/
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best Regards,
>>> Ali/amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad>
>>> *Remember: *"All of us are smarter than any one of us."
>>>
>>> Ubuntu GNOME OneStopPage <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/OneStopPage>
>>> http://torios.org - StartUbuntu <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StartUbuntu> - http://amjjawad.net
>>>

>> Hi Ali,
>>
>> I don't mind stepping up for QA Acting Team Leader. If you have any notes/resources to share with me that goes into a cycle, please do share.
>> I'm also helping out with testing and bug triaging as well now.
>>
>> As a new comer to the entire QA process, information currently seems scattered and I ideally would like to document the entire cycle process
>> for QA (without duplicating any thing that is out there already) in one or few pages for anybody that would also like to participate in the QA
>> process specifically for Ubuntu Gnome.
> There is plenty of documentation on the actual testing, but I don't think there is anything relating to the overall QA process, partly because
> so far the QA team hasn't participated in much apart from testing and/or me Ali have been doing them. Obviously there is more to it than just

Right, there is not even specifically a QA "Sub-Team", just Testing:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/SubTeams

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/Testing

We are of course on Launchpad:

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugnome-qa

It's important to note that among the guidelines to become and remain a
recognized flavor of Ubuntu is "Flavor QA lead (may be different from
flavor lead) identified to coordinate testing of image at milestones
during release":

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RecognizedFlavors

So for this cycle you'd want to be aware of the Vivid release schedule:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/VividVervet/ReleaseSchedule

And we have a point release of Trusty LTS coming up in early February:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+milestone/ubuntu-14.04.2

There is a lot of work to be done, even our mailing list info probably
needs to be updated here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam#QA_related_teams

Ali had asked me to help out with QA long ago but other than performing
iso-testing I'm simply not able to :^(

A great source of info regarding Ubuntu QA is balloons:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/balloons

I know he'll be more than happy to help you because he recently made
some changes to the QA Tracker for me and he very much wanted me to join
him on IRC chat to learn how to perform said changes in_real_time myself
but I can't use IRC chat due to disability.

Lance