Install problems 13.10 beta2

Ali Linx (amjjawad) amjjawad at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 16:26:01 UTC 2013

Hello Felix,

Thank you for your email :)

On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 5:27 PM, Felix Oxley <felix at oxley.org> wrote:

> Machine HP ML 115
> AMD Opteron 1352 Quad core 2.1 GHz
> 4GB RAM
> Disks: 1 x 160GB Sata as /boot /tmp swap /home and /
> 3x 250GB Sata in mdraid Raid5 array as /data
> Current OS: Ubuntu 12.10
>
> 1. Beta2 Cd only intermittently boots to installer (language selection)
> It seems that if I press Caps Lock a few times during the boot sequence it
> will manage to get to the installer screen)

What ISO are you testing? Beta 2? Daily?

What version? i386? amd64?

I think you mean DVD because the ISO is larger than 700MB.

Have you checked MD5SUM?

Are you sure your CD/DVD Drive works fine?

How did you create that LiveDVD?

Have you checked with LiveUSB?

You see, we need to know the answers of all the above Qs so that we can
help and find out what is going on :)
So please, whenever you send a testing email (result or ask for help) is to
cover all the above initial questions :D

> 2. Running CD integrity check never completes (>1 hour)

Which tells either it is bad ISO (MD5SUM need to be checked) OR bad burn
(make sure to burn at a low speed (8x for example) OR your CD/DVD Drive has
some issues. Best approach here to check MD5SUM and Burn at Low Speed and
even better is to use LiveUSB. LiveUSB much faster and more responsive.

> 3. Selecting Install or Test results in the following screen:
>
>      BusyBox v1.20.2 (Ubuntu 1:120.0-8.1ubuntu1) built-in shell (ash)
>      Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands
>
>      (initramfs)

There are different causes for this.

> N.B. Keyboard is non functional at this point
> (I have tried with acpi=off apicoff nodmraid)
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Felix

Waiting for your reply :)