[Lubuntu-comms] People do not understand the desktop installer

Ali Linx (amjjawad) amjjawad at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 14:59:08 UTC 2013

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 5:24 PM, Julien Olivier <julo42 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the video idea is not so good for another reason: it would need to be
> dubbed in all supported languages, and that's not very practical.

Hi Julien,

Thanks for your reply :)

AFAIK, Ubuntu, and all the other official flavours, have their website in
English Language and same goes to the Official Wiki Pages :)
For the last 3 years, I have never seen an official website nor a Wiki Page
in different Language

Examples:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/GetUbuntuGNOME

Just to be extra clear, my suggestion was plain and simple and it is up to
the community to decide:

1- Add a note just like:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/GetUbuntuGNOME#Downloading_Ubuntu_GNOME_13.10and
http://ubuntugnome.org/download/ which is:

"Please, *BACKUP* your important Data before anything else. Don't assume
that Ubuntu GNOME will do it for you automatically."

2- If we do want to go the extra miles, at the very same place, we can
include a YouTube Link for a Video. That video will explain HOWTO Install
the System, no more, no less.

I don't know why these two simple suggestions are creating so much
confusion?

After all, there is NOTHING broken to be fixed, IMHO. I do not find any
problem with the current installer.

However, for those who insist there is something wrong and that we should
take extra steps then:

"Adding a pop-up" message asking someone to BACKUP his/her Data WHILE
he/she is actually installing the system is non-sense to me. This MUST be
mentioned 'before' someone starts to download :)

"Adding a pop-up" message to warn the user that all his data will be lost
could be a good point as a 'second warning' and I do insist it is a second
one since the first is already mentioned. I have no problem with that. It
is up to our developers to decide this :)

I fail to see why we should do a video in all the languages? the websites
and the wiki area all using English Language :)

Forget the video if you don't want to explain to the users how to install
the system. But please, understand many users may really fail to install
the system no matter how many HOWTOs are written on google.

Anyway, I have given a simple solution. It is up to the community now to
decide what is the best for a newcomer :)

For Ubuntu GNOME, I will solve this my way ;)

So far, I have never received any complaint about that. I mean, Ubuntu
GNOME specific. Once my voice is back to normal, I am going to create a
video for HOWTO Install Ubuntu GNOME. You will find it on my Channel if you
are interested.

Thanks :)
P.S.
We are at the end of 2013 and I wonder when can we get the best of the
technologies?