[Lubuntu-comms] People do not understand the desktop installer

Jack Ramsay jack at troop55.net
Fri Oct 25 12:53:07 UTC 2013

Dear all,
In my opinion the pop-up is a great idea. Also, The youtube video is a good
idea but what if people don't have internet. I also think that if we add a
check-box to the pop-up so that the user understands what they’re doing.
That will cause them to stop and read what is there. This may help with
people rushing through the installer. Please send feedback, ideas or
concerns.

Thanks,
Jack

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 3:23 AM, Ali Linx (amjjawad) <amjjawad at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 1:49 AM, William <wjckc79 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 10/24/2013 04:03 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> On 24 October 2013 18:05, chris hermansen <clhermansen at gmail.com> <clhermansen at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  William, I am with you. But still "remove windows" leaves the would-be
>> ubuntu user to think that there may be a way to put it back later...
>>
>>  It is some time since I did an install like that, but does it not warn
>> with a message "Warning this will delete all files on the disk" or
>> something similar before it starts the install?
>>
>> Colin
>>
>>  Colin, Look at the screen shot part way down this post, it clearly
>> states: Warning: this will delete all your programs, documents, photos,
>> music, and other files in both Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04.
>>

>> http://amjjawad.blogspot.com/2013/10/ubiquity-and-installing-ubuntu-and-its.html
>>
>> That seems pretty clear to me.
>>

> +1
>

>> Although since this is in fact happening, the suggestion made in the
>> linked blog post should likely be implemented, but there should probably
>> first also be an extra pop-up warning when people select this option.
>>

> While the idea of having a pop-up warning message might be useful for
> those who are lazy enough (because they didn't read the 'first' warning),
> the question is, will they read the 'second' warning or will ignore it just
> like they did with the 'first' one? :) but, let's all remember that this
> work will be done by developers and I am sure many will be involved to
> approve it :) not sure how long that will take and how long we need to
> carry on to discuss that.
>
> IMHO, if it is not broken, don't fix it :D
>

>> If they don't heed the warning the first time when they make their
>> selection, oops. If they don't heed a second pop up warning, shame on them.
>> But if they are so bad with computers that they still really truly don't
>> understand what's happening, I agree with the blog post that they should be
>> directed to a youtube video explaining everything.
>>

> Exactly :)
> As my good friend Iberê Fernandes mentioned, Windows Users are very much
> used to "Click", "Next", "Next", "Ok", etc.
>
> I am sure you all know what I am talking about. We all have been Windows
> Users. Have we ever read the whole message? or have we only actually read
> the very last sentence which is usually a Question and hit either "Ok" or
> "Cancel"? :)
>
> Why would we forget that now? I mean, those Windows Users who are
> newcomers to Linux will do exactly the same. They used not to read. In
> fact, some Linux Users don't read as well. I am afraid we can NOT blame the
> system here :)
>

>> We now live in an era where people who have absolutely no idea what they
>> are doing with computers on a technical level want to install Linux. I call
>> that a good thing and we should give them all the direction they need.
>>

> Well said :)

> [...]

Thanks,
Jack