Systemd

Tim darkxst at fastmail.fm
Thu Oct 17 08:28:58 UTC 2013

On 17/10/13 18:18, Julien Olivier wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> are there any plans to switch from [upstart + canonical custom
> systemd-compatible services] to upstream systemd?
Ubuntu is already using the bulk of systemd, things like logind, localed etc. What is not used currently is the systemd init services and
journald. Atleast with 3.10 that is not a problem, it may however cause issues once the cgroups stuff is introduced ~3.12.

> I know stock Canonical is not interested in using systemd in stock
> Ubuntu over its home-made solution, but is there any reason why Ubuntu
> GNOME couldn't upload its own systemd packages into the main repository
> and use them instead if upstream? Would that break the compatibility
> with packages shared between Ubuntu desktop and Ubuntu GNOME desktop?
Swapping out the init system is not a simple task, and certainly not something we will be taking on.

> Seeing how GNOME seems to depend more and more on the real systemd, I
> think that's something to think about...
Atleast for 3.10, we are all good. There are no missing dependencies as of Saucy.