[Discussion/Opinion] Ubuntu 14.04 LTS To Stay On GTK/GNOME 3.8?

Ali Linx (amjjawad) amjjawad at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 11:24:29 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 9:15 PM, Manuel Cuadra <manuelcua at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm a newbe in terms of technical reference of gnome, but for what I
> understand is that Gnome needs GTK to function, and the main ubuntu
> packages don't want to update GTK to make Gnome 3.10 compatible
> because of the deprecated functions that comes with the update, thus
> breaking functionality to Ubuntu Desktop... is that correct?

I am not a developer but a 3 years active contributor who has started to
contribute to Ubuntu 10.04 on Ubuntu Forums by creating HOWTOs and the day
Canonical Decided to come up with Unity, I have saved the headache and
migrated to Lubuntu and from day one, I started to contribute to Lubuntu
and the long journey started and since July, I have joined Ubuntu GNOME and
I'm so much happy here. So, from a contributor point of view and a user
point of view:

It is very much more than just having a stable release for Ubuntu, that is
14.04 LTS.

Not to cause you any headache but have a read at this:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-desktop/2013-October/thread.html

While other flavours might not be affected much, we are the most affected
flavour!

The real deal that you may not find on the above link:
Because of Ubuntu Touch for Phones and Tablets, Ubuntu Team has been way
too busy for Saucy Cycle specifically and they have been using each and
every resources (manpower and others) for MIR, Touch, etc.

IMHO, they are too stressed and tired and can't really do something big for
14.04 so as a result, they want to use GNOME 3.8 for Ubuntu 14.04 while
3.10 stable is out and the work has started to work on GNOME 3.12.
Yes, Stability is and must come first for Long Term Support (
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS) Release (5 years) but how good/bad this
decision is or will be? what kind of impact at least to us? above all, what
Ubuntu Fans and Users will think about this? time will tell :)

I think they have already made their choice and this is just to explain
their move. I have read the threads. They are not planning, I think they
have made their choice already and time will tell :) but I could be wrong
and I understand YMMV :)