Anybody else having trouble installing printers?

Ali Linx (amjjawad) amjjawad at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 09:43:09 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Jason Sauders <jasauders at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello friends.

Hello Jason,

Thank you for your email :)

> I installed Ubuntu GNOME 13.10 on my desktop, along with the next and
> staging PPAs. I'm fully up to date. I had problems installing both of my
> network printers (Epson Workforce 435, which is actually via USB, and HP
> Laserjet 2100n via ethernet on LAN) early on but I just ignored it as 13.10
> was literally out of the gate. I had a short affair with another distro
> that left me longing for Ubuntu GNOME, so I came back. I did a fresh
> install and all of the updates and whatnot annnnd... still having this
> problem.

I would never even bother to look at another distribution just because of a
Printer Issue but that is me :)
We will do our best to help, no worries :)

> What happens is, I click on the depressed-looking printer GUI and let it
> scan for printers. It comes up with both. I click on the printer I want and
> it says "installing", but a full second later it disappears and simply says
> "Failed to add new printer."

Not 100% sure if this is related but could you please have a look at this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lubuntu-meta/+bug/1133794

Let me know if the workaround posted will help you or not.

> Before I fired out a bug report I wanted to scan the grounds and see what
> you guys are running into. Anybody running into this?

Yes, no problem, this is good idea to check before reporting a bug :)

> Side note - Both printers install and function 100% if added via CUPS web
> interface @ localhost:631.

Indeed, this is what I personally do whenever I want to deal with Printer
Installation :) I feel that I have more control over an GUI application :)

> Thanks for your time and contributions!
> -J

Thank you and most welcome :)

Also, have a look at: