Urgent Need for More Contributors

Ali Linx (amjjawad) amjjawad at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 09:07:22 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 10:14 AM, Parin Porecha <parinporecha at gnome.org>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am Parin Porecha, a 3rd year student at IIIT-Hyderabad, India.

Hi Parin,

Thank you for your email :)

My name is Ali and this is my roles with Ubuntu GNOME Community -
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/UbuntuGNOME-Team

It is a pleasure to meet you :)

> I just came across this post -
> http://ubuntugnome.org/urgent-need-for-more-contributors/, and I'm
> interested in contributing to Ubuntu GNOME (particularly 'Bug Fixing' and
> 'Packaging')

Thank you so much for your response, this is really great to see more and
more interested people who would like to join and truly help :)

> I believe I have the required skills -
> I've been involved with GNOME since December 2012, currently
> maintainer/developer of Getting Things Gnome! (https://launchpad.net/gtg).
> I also completed a GSoC project for GTG this year (
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2013/parinporecha/18001
> )
> Here's a list of bugs I've patched for GTG -
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/~parinporecha/+assignedbugs
>
> I am looking for long-term commitment, so that I can get involved with
> Ubuntu community apart from GNOME as well.

Very, very interesting :)
This will make things much easier for us and for you since you have
previous experience with GNOME and Ubuntu should be an easy system to deal
with after all :)

> So, how can I get started ?

First of all, I'd like to invite you to have a read at this page and join
our mailing list:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/ContactUs

I have CC'ed the list so once you subscribe, you don't need to wait for
your emails to get approved since you are a subscriber :)

Also, to became an official member of the team, you need to have a read at:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/GettingInvolved

And of course, if you have any Q, please ask :)

As for how to get started?
Tim, is our Head of Developers and he is away until Wed (2 days to go :D)
and once he is back, he will take it from there :)

At the moment, I'd strongly suggest to bookmark this page:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/OneStopPage
And whenever you have time, try to read more about us so that you
understand how things work here :)

Please, if you need anything, just ask :)

Also, it would be super great if you could download and install Ubuntu
GNOME 13.10 and play with :)

Thank you for your email, much appreciated and we are looking forward to
see more from you in the near future!

Best Regards,