don't animate lock-on-suspend when we don't have systemd

Timo Kluck tkluck at infty.nl
Sun Mar 10 01:00:05 UTC 2013

Hi ubuntu-gnomists,

I've woken my laptop from suspend a couple of times, finding the
"screen shield" to be halfway down, grabbing keyboard focus, and no
way to unlock. I had to kill the X server every time.

My theory for how this came about is that gnome-shell expects to be
able to inhibit suspend for as long as the animation takes, because it
uses systemd. The workaround I'm trying is to disable animating the
lock screen when used for suspending. In many use cases, suspend is
triggered by closing the laptop lid, so this isn't a very invasive
change anyway.

It's hard to test these kind of racing conditions because they don't
happen all the time. This means I'm not 100% sure this actually fixes
the issue.

I'm attaching the necessary patch. I'll also try to get a patched
version in my ppa (ppa:tkluck/gnome3).
Best regards,
Timo Kluck