[ATTENTION] LTS Release - Urgent Need for More People

Ali Linx (amjjawad) amjjawad at gmail.com
Wed Dec 25 21:42:12 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 12:47 AM, Erick Brunzell <lbsolost at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  On 12/25/2013 02:02 PM, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
>

> On Wed, Dec 25, 2013 at 11:50 PM, Erick Brunzell <lbsolost at yahoo.com>wrote:
>
>>   On 12/25/2013 11:12 AM, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>

>> On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 1:57 PM, Ali Linx (amjjawad) <amjjawad at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>>  Hello Ubuntu GNOME Community,

>>>   The above email was sent in 26th of October, 2013 :)
>>>
>>>  This was posted on our website on the 3rd of November, 2013:
>>> http://ubuntugnome.org/urgent-need-for-more-contributors/
>>>
>>>  Same Call for Help had been posted on our Social Media: Twitter,
>>> Goolge+ and Facebook.
>>>
>>>  Good News?
>>> We have so many replies and interested people.
>>>
>>> BAD NEWS?
>>>  ONLY FEW are active and I have NO idea where is the rest? :(
>>>
>>> Sad but true. While I can't deny I was expecting that but I set my hope
>>> so high and was really interested to see more interested people.
>>>
>>>  Having that said, and to re-remind you of this email:
>>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-gnome/2013-December/001240.html
>>>
>>>  Please be informed that we DO NEED more help, support and
>>> contribution. Otherwise, and let me be super honest here, having an LTS
>>> release might be really hard if not impossible.
>>>
>>>  Not trying to be negative here but rather honest and realistic. We are
>>> all volunteers here. We appreciate your intentions but we do need your
>>> actual contributions.
>>>
>>>  I'd like to take this opportunity to thank each and everyone who
>>> responded to our call of help and actually did contribute and still. THANK
>>> YOU so much!
>>>
>>>  Happy Holidays everyone :)
>>>
>>> --
>>>   Remember: "All of us are smarter than any one of us."
>>> Best Regards,
>>>  amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad>
>>>

>>  As a follow up to my previous email, just thought to share this with
>> you:
>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTU1Mjk
>>
>>  I shall say/write no more :)
>>  Everything is clear now. And, as always, if you are in doubt, just ask.
>>
>>  Sorry to spoil your holidays but this is important!
>>
>> --
>>   Remember: "All of us are smarter than any one of us."
>> Best Regards,
>>  amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad>
>>  Areas of Involvement<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/AreasOfInvolvement>
>>  My Projects <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/Projects>
>>

>>   Let's wait to hear from Tim!
>>
>> Even if we can't do an LTS at this stage in our development there is no
>> reason to think that Ubuntu GNOME will just go away. I've devoted a great
>> deal of time to testing the upgrade processes detailed at the iso-tracker
>> and I welcome complaints!
>>
>> Lance
>>

>  As long as I am alive and as long as there is Ubuntu and as long as Tim
> and other great people around, Ubuntu GNOME will NEVER go away, that is a
> [...]
I know what the writer said. He did not bring anything from his own pocket,
he took that from the mailing list and preciously from the chain of emails
I have sent and Tim has sent previously.

I am NOT going to re-explain myself yet again. Please do read the archive
or check the previous emails :)

Facts:
1- We are indeed short of manpower.
2- We had lots of people responded to my call for help.
3- We had ONLY few serious people who showed commitment by remaining around
and actually helping.
4- If WE want to have an LTS release, we do NEED MORE people to join, that
is for sure. That is why I replied my own email which I sent back in Oct
and included Tim's email.
5- I am definitely NOT un-ringing any bell :) the call of help is still
valid and will still because, as you do know that most of FOSS project lack
manpower and serious people who stay around.

It is NOT my problem that people don't really read between the lines or
don't even read :)
I was super clear. If not, I am asking one more time to please ask if you
are in doubt.

*Ubuntu GNOME with or without an LTS release still exist - Solid Fact No. 1*

*Ubuntu GNOME 14.04, in order to be an LTS release, the team needs 'more'
contributions and help - Solid Fact No. 2*

*Without such help, we can't do much and 'maybe'  there is no LTS release -
Solid Fact No. 3*

*I am one of those who will do whatever it takes to have an LTS release but
I can't do much alone, I will sure need help and again, that is why the
continuous call for help - Solid Fact No. 4*
Now, I do hope it is clear for everyone here :)

With all due respect to the writer of that post on that website, he is not
'directly' involved and he read the email on the list but perhaps he
doesn't know the history of everything we are discussing here.

May I remind everyone that the 'official' source of information is this
mailing list and the channels here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/ContactUs#Contact_Us

We are 'not' responsible for any other post that the write speaks his/her
mind on. I do hope you know what I mean.

Thank you and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone :)