[Trusty Tahr] Ubuntu GNOME Sub-Teams Plans & Visions

Ali Linx (amjjawad) amjjawad at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 11:58:42 UTC 2013

Dear Ubuntu GNOME Community (Users, Members and everyone),

First of all, I do know that the activities on all levels have been dropped
down lately due to the Holidays Season and I can understand that. However,
our strongest and toughest challenge all the way is 'Time' which has no
mercy and will never wait and because I actually can do that, I will invest
'my time' to to this before the end of 2013 so that Ubuntu GNOME and its
Sub-Teams will have a 'clear' and 'ready' plans and visions for 2014, at
least for Trusty Tahr Cycle which will be over in April after releasing
14.04 and new cycle will start all over again (14.10) and new plans,
visions, blueprints, etc to be created and set.

Second of all, this email is a follow up to this one:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-gnome/2013-December/001210.html

and this one:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-gnome/2013-December/001214.html

and also this one:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-gnome/2013-December/001236.html

Oh and this too:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-gnome/2013-December/001240.html

Third of all, if truth to be told, we are VERY late to do any kind of
planning at this stage. Other Communities, such as Xubuntu, have done that
part a month ago or even more: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Roadmap

Having all the above said:

   1. Before the end of this year 2013, 'We' as Ubuntu GNOME Team, must
   finish the 'Planing' Stage which supposed to be done a month ago and IMHO,
   it is not yet done.
   2. IMHO, Starting from Jan 2014, there should be 'NO' planing whatsoever
   at least when it comes to Ubuntu GNOME Sub-Teams 'BUT' the stage of 'doing'
   and 'implementing' and 'follow' the tasks one by one - according to the
   plan set.
   3. Due to the solid fact that time is running super quickly and we might
   not find 'enough time' to achieve (plan, think, discuss, etc) a lot, we
   then need to carry on with 'whatever left/remained' for the next cycle
   (14.10).
   4. Starting immediately, I will focus 'my time and energy' to finish
   these: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntugnome-brainstorming
   5. I must re-remind everyone about one solid fact that I am 'not'
   planning to burn out yet again at all, just like what happened with me with
   Lubuntu for 2 years when I had to go through hell more than once. This is a
   Team Work and whenever I will feel that I am about to burn out, I will
   immediately stop. I just took 2 days OFF from everything just to re-charge
   my batteries when I felt that I am running out of energy. What I do NOT
   want to go through is quit everything because of contentious burning out.
   Not to blame anyone here but this is to be clear and not to be surprised to
   know that I will step down and quit, just like what happened with Lubuntu
   after 2 years :) I do LOVE this project and community but I also must love
   myself and take care, right? :)
   6. Once I will finish the planning, each and every sub-team should be
   notified by email (as long as the specific blueprint is assigned to that
   sub-team). However, I will keep everyone updated once done.
   7. Everyone with a Launchpad account can login, read the blueprints and
   edit the White Board:
   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/Brainstorming#How_To_Edit_The_Whiteboard_on_Blueprints
   8. I am not planning at all to complicate things but rather to make
   everything as easy as possible so don't worry, there are no huge things
   coming, just a clear and simple plan for each sub-team. At least, I believe
   there is a reason to have these sub-teams to begin with. And, the members
   of each sub-team need to know what kind of tasks they need to work on.
   9. I expect your full support, help and collaboration on this regard :)
   10. If we all want to take Ubuntu GNOME to the next level, we need to
   work hard to achieve that. If you are 'not' interested to see Ubuntu GNOME
   in a better shape and position, that is different story and in that case,
   you can simply ignore this email :)

Thank you and sorry for the long email.

Happy Holidays!