[FAQ] Ubuntu GNOME & The Display Server

Erick Brunzell lbsolost at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 20 19:53:12 UTC 2013

On 12/20/2013 08:50 AM, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Steve Ovens <steve_ovens at linux.com
> <mailto:steve_ovens at linux.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Ali,
>

> Hi :)
>

>     I believe in the FAQ there should be some more detail. I know both
>     Wayland and Mir are premature, but putting that in the FAQ without
>     a detailed description of each seems lacking to me.  My proposal
>     would be to either change the title to something like "But what if
>     Ubuntu chooses a different display manager?" as opposed to a "X vs
>     Mir vs Wayland" which may help to set and meet expectations
>     better. If I am looking for X vs Wayland vs Mir, then I am fairly
>     technical and I would expect some sort of comparison.
>
>     Just my thoughts
>

>  Anyone with Launchpad account can edit the Wiki Pages of Ubuntu
> GNOME. The 'one' and 'only' condition is to keep 'everyone' on the
> list updated/informed about that, that is all.
>
> Example: "Hey list, I am going to update this page ...." and once you
> are done: "Hi again, done, please see: .... "
>
> As simple as that :D
>
> Currently, there are very few people working on the Wiki Area. We do
> need more and more.
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/DocumentationTeam
>
> Thank you!
>
> --
> Remember: "All of us are smarter than any one of us."
> Best Regards,
> amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad>
> Areas of Involvement <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/AreasOfInvolvement>
> My Projects <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/Projects>

I generally try to avoid conversions like this but Ali should be
applauded for his efforts. He's only using Tim's comments to clarify
what will or will not happen in 14.04.

ATM only those with a time machine know what 14.04 will bring to Ubuntu
GNOME because we are dependent on the Ubuntu base ........... that's
just part of being an official flavor ;^)

Our speculation regarding Mir, Xmir, and Wayland are just that ATM -
speculation! Consider for a moment how long btrfs has been stalled. We
can't just stop until btrfs is ready!

What we do need to concentrate on is how we might possibly be able to
support at least a 3 year LTS since Ubuntu changed to a nine month
interim release cycle.

Can we opt-out of the hardware enablement stack as Xubuntu did in Precise?

Or would we even want to?

How many packages would we have to maintain on our own?

How many devs do we have that will commit to maintaining those packages?

I could ask a gazillion questions :^)

Trying to complicate things with "what ifs" is not at all helpful!

Maybe read the current news at Phoronix???

Lance