GNOME Initial Setup

Fran Dieguez fran.dieguez at mabishu.com
Fri Aug 30 10:02:50 UTC 2013

On vie 30 ago 2013 10:22:48 CEST, Tim wrote:

> On 30/08/13 17:15, Alfredo Hernández wrote:
>>
>> There's a screen that allows you to set-up your online accounts (it's
>> basically GOA embedded into it). Also (I don't know if this is
>> finished yet) , when you finish all the setups there's a localised
>> (that's very important in my opinion) that shows the main features of
>> GNOME Shell.
>>

> The getting started guide is packaged separately from initial setup on
> debian, although doesn't appear to be released yet. once it is, we can
> sync it and integrate either with the installer, or perhaps on first
> login.
>
> Tim
>
>> Alfredo
>>
>> On 30 Aug 2013 02:26, "Tim Lunn" <tim at feathertop.org
>> <mailto:tim at feathertop.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi Fran,
>>
>>     On Fri, Aug 30, 2013, at 09:06 AM, Fran Dieguez wrote:
>>     > Hi all,
>>     >
>>     > Is there any chance to get gnome-initial-setup integrated in Ubuntu
>>     > GNOME? Now it could be a little late but maybe for 14.04.
>>     >
>>     > I think that is a great app for newcomers and to quickly setup
>>     GNOME for
>>     > the first time. But it's not available in the repositories
>>     (main, of
>>     > ppas).
>>
>>     The reason we don't have it, is because Ubiquity does the initial
>>     setup
>>     on Ubuntu (during installation). It would be a bit odd if the
>>     user has
>>     to complete 2 different initial-setups!
>>
>>     I have however not actually tried out gnome-initial-setup. Are
>>     there any
>>     features provided by gnome-initial-setup that arent available in
>>     Ubiquity?
>>
>>     Tim
>>     >
>>     > Just a suggestion.
>>     >
>>     > Regards
>>     >
>>     > --
>>     > Ubuntu-GNOME mailing list
>>     > Ubuntu-GNOME at lists.ubuntu.com
>>     <mailto:Ubuntu-GNOME at lists.ubuntu.com>
>>     > Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>>
>>     --

Almost all the set-up steps are integrated into Ubiquity. If I have to
highlight two features from GNOME initial setup I will go with setting
up online accounts with an screen with GOA embedded and after that an
small but great set of videos explaining how GNOME-Shell works.

http://jimmac.fedorapeople.org/gnome3/getting-started/

For us the best approach could be deactivate those steps that are
already integrated in Ubiquity and show GNOME initial setup on first
login with those steps are are interesting for Ubuntu GNOME.

Regards